Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Should My Heart Rate Be

Posted by GardenGhost (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 26, 04 at 17:46

I'm rather overweight and joined a gym around Thanksgiving. I've been working out 4 or 5 days a week for about an hour or hour and a half each day. I usually do 30 minutes of the treadmill or a cadio class each day. While on the treadmill, I checked my heart rate about midway thru my workout. Going at 3.3 miles per hour, my heart rate stayed around 150.

I glanced at the monitor on the treadmill next to me. There was a 70 yr old man there, going about 4 mph. He had been walking for about 20 minutes. His heart rate was 112. I'm only 40, but I weigh probably 70 lbs more than he does. What should be normal for me? Am I just so horribly outta shape? Is 150 way too high? Should I be concerned or should it come down as I lose wieght and get in better shape?

Casper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Should My Heart Rate Be

I don't know much about what your heart rate should be, but I found a heart rate calculator here, Training heart rate calculator. You enter your age and your resting heart rate. It says to take your pulse for 1 minute first thing in the morning, before getting out of bed.

o

Here is a heart rate chart similar to what they have at my local Curves:

Target heart rate chart

Age / Target Zone 50-75% (beats per minute) / Average Maximum Heart Rate (100%)
20 100-150 200
25 98-146 195
30 95-142 190
35 93-138 185
40 90-135 180
45 88-131 175
50 85-127 170
55 83-123 165
60 80-120 160
65 78-116 155
70 75-113 150

o

Hey Lydia, THANK YOU!!! That's exactly the info I needed! And now I see I'm not as badly out of shape as I thought. I'm 40 and my heart rate stays around 140-150 when I exercise. So I'm better then the Average Max. I'll keep working on it and one day I'll get it down to a better number.

Thank you again for the info!

Casper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here