Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heart rate monitors - wrist watch type

Posted by DonnaK_NC (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 20, 04 at 12:20

Hello! First time here!

I did a search but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I just started on a treadmill this week and would like to keep my pulse in a target range while exercising. I am seeing a lot of these that look like a watch and you put two fingers on the metal contacts for a reading. They are ranging from $50 to $100.

Does anyone know if they are accurate? Like plus or minus how many beats per minute? I wouldn't mind forking out the cash if they are fairly accurate. They sure would be convenient.

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heart rate monitors - wrist watch type

I'm looking for the same thing but haven't made a decision yet. If you want reviews from people who actually have purchsed and used them, try epinions.com (Click under "Home", then "Wellness & Beauty", then "Heart Rate Monitors". Hope it helps!

o

I have a MIO Shape, which I like very much. It's a strapless heart monitor, and is quite accurate. However, there are times when it is difficult to get a reading -- primarily when your heart beat is bouncing around, or if your hands are very cold. Still, I like the fact that I can also get a more accurate read on the number of calories burned while doing an exercise (which, unfortunately, is way lower than what the machines say since I'm a small female). It's my regular day-to-day watch, and sometimes I take my pulse just for the heck of it. Since I started exercising, my baseline pulse has decreased :-).

o

Thanks, Aesop, that is what I am looking for, strapless.

This seems to be a good forum; too bad not many know about it. :(

o

Since it's been 3 years since the last post, I was hoping that someone could tell me if there is a new version of a wrist watch that has a heart rate function as well as a pedometer function. Thank you for any information you can give me as well as any sites that give reviews on this item.

o

I looked for a wrist watch around Christmas and everywhere I went the salespeople told me they were crap. I did order a very nice wrist blood pressure monitor from Costco that also measured pulse, but while it was a very nice unit, I took it back because it couldn't be worn during exercise and I already have a good one for when I am still.

My exercise cycle gives me a reading on my pulse and so do several of the machines where I work out. I make sure that I am on one of those machines at least every 5 minutes while I am exercising. I have a lot of trouble with an overly rapid heartbeat, so it is very important to me. I try to keep myself under 85% of maximum heart rate, but it is hard. I would love to have something I could wear easily all the time. I wound up in the ER not long ago and it was very expensive. If I'd had a monitor I would have known to quit before the chest pains started.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here