Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elliptical vs. Normal Exercise Bike

Posted by judith_sydney (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 06 at 6:44

Stumbled onto this forum from another site, and think it is the best site!

Anyway, just getting into the exercise as part of losing weight, and have been using the elliptical and exercise bike at the gym. Funny thing was that the machines seem to indicate that I am burning a lot more calories on the elliptical than the exercise bike, 2.5 times more.... Does this sound right? Or is the elliptical machine I'm using just clocking up the calories burnt incorrectly?

If it is correct, then will be using the elliptical more than the bike!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elliptical vs. Normal Exercise Bike

I have seen the same difference in calories expended between the elliptical and exercise bike. I think they may be correct given that I can reach a pulse of 145 in 90 seconds on the elliptical and it takes me about 10 minutes+ on the bicycle

o

Thanks Devorah,

I think I will definitely be committing to more time on the elliptical now.

o

The elliptical is better than the bike. You are moving your whole body on it. It is better than the treadmill as well and easier on the knees. After using the elliptical at a gym 2+ years ago we bought one for our basement. I have done it just about everyday for 2 years now. Just got off of it now!!

o

The elliptical is great for burning calories. You are weight bearing through your joints (compared to the bike) which is better for joint stabiliztion.Involving your arms helps you burn even more.
Try it backwards too (hold on to the stationary hand grips!)

o

I like the elliptical a lot and agree with other posters that it incorporates some weight-bearing value while being easier on the knees than the treadmill. You can get a nice aerobic workout on the elliptical.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here