Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heart Rate

Posted by judith_sydney (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 4:40

Using the exercise bike and elliptical in the gym, I can log in my age, weight etc, to determine what heart rate I should be working at.

The only catch is that the machines are constantly telling me to slow down to reduce my heart rate.

If you are working at a cardio zone, can you still burn fat, even though at the cardio rate you are at a higher heart rate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heart Rate

I am a little confused by your question.

This is my understanding of how things work: When you are working in the cardio zone for you - after about half an hour - you will have used up the sugar that is immediately available for fuel in your blood and then you will start to burn fat

I think you should pay attention to the machine provided you think it is reasonably accurate. As you become more fit, the intensity of your workout will increase because your heartbeat will slow down. I absolutely use my pulse rate as the measure for going at things too hard or too soft. It is the only measure that is unique to me.

o

Thanks Devorah. I think I understand what you mean by the heart rate. All of this is new to me....so I'm kind of winging it as I go. Started spin classes, and my legs are hurting a lot more than when I do the normal cardio machines at the gym....think there is some truth to no pain no gain.....

o

Judith--I know this post is a few months old--but I wondered how you are progressing.

I also use my pulse rate as a measure. According to what I've read, if you get above your cardio zone, you will be burning muscle instead of fat. And as Devorah says "As you become more fit, the intensity of your workout will increase because your heartbeat will slow down."

I purchased one of the heart rate monitor/wrist watchs. While wearing this on the elliptical or treadmill at the gym-it reads my HR constantly (on the machine and on the watch) without my having to keep putting my hands on the HR monitor on the machine. The wrist unit beeps if I get above my zone. This is very helpful and more comfortable than having to keep putting my hands on the bars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here