Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
exercise routine?

Posted by joann_fla (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 23:50

Do you have a plan or a certain routine you follow? Like a set of exercises you do regularly? How do I go about getting one? I don't go to the gym so I need to do something at home, any help appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: exercise routine?

I am an older (55) exerciser and really like the Walk Away the Pounds videos. I have the set (1,2 and 3 miles) with the weighted balls, but often I just grab 2 cans out of the cupboard instead of using the balls. Look on Amazon.com. There are 21 reviews and only one is not 5 stars.

o

I am an older (58) exerciser too,,, have been very sedentary, lazy, and am 50 pounds overweight. I do not like to go to a gym, and cannot afford it any more anyway. I have just started with Walk away the Pounds videos. I have the 1, 2 and 3 miles one like Kathy, mine came with the resistance bands. I had to start with one mile and work up, that is how out of shape I am. I checked a Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies DVD out of the library ( i like the 60's music ) and started with that today. Boy, did I work up a sweat! I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and have always found it very difficult to keep to a exercise regimen, or find one that didn't hurt me. Now that I am retired, I do my workout in the morning because if I get out and run errands first, I will be to tired to exercise.
Good luck with whatever you decide to try.

June

o

I'm 73 years old, and used to be a light runner. Now I go to the gym and use aerobitcs machines, and walk fast on the running track.

Walking is really good exercise. Get yourself a device that measures the distance you walk -- or measure the distance using your car's trip odometer. Start easy -- walk at a comfortable pace and gradually increase your distance and your pace, until you reach about 30 minutes. The only thing you need is a good pair of shoes and good socks. If cold weather bothers you, join a group that walks in a mall. And walk outside and enjoy the sunshine when the weather is good.

Get a good book that gives tips on walking as an exercise, and make sure you stretch, so you keep you limbs flexible.

For the long-term, what will work for you is something you enjoy, that you can easily incorporate into your daily routine and that makes you feel good when you're finished.

As you gain strength, take the opportunity to walk or climb stairs when the occasion arises. Don't rely just on your exercise routine to keep you fit. Make it a way of life.

o

Once you figure out a good routine for you, make sure you stick to it and also that you complement it with good eating habits. I recommend keeping a daily log so you can monitor your excercise and nutrition. Pen and paper works, or use online tools such as Wellness Daily. Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wellness Daily

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here