Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ice skating for weight loss

Posted by eggshellfinish (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 21:51

Does anyone here ice skate for exercise? I don't necessarily mean speed skating or formal figure skating, but plain old open-skating-at-the-neighborhood-ice-arena skating. Do you find that it helps you lose weight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ice skating for weight loss

Any activity you do is better than sitting in front of TV or the computer. Whether it helps you lose weight probably depends on how long you skate, how vigorously you skate, and how you are eating. You can make small changes in your diet and along with added exercise, you can lose. Slow steady weight loss is the best because you adapt to a new way of eating and you begin to enjoy walking, skating or whatever exercise you choose. Good luck.

o

I try but I like doing the fresstyle sessions not the public skate. I try to hire a coach for a private lesson *once in a while - so I can learn how to skate backwards.

It is great cardio if you can get the speed up. Keep upper body straight, core control. Arms extended. Knees slightly bent and toes pointed forward. You lean too much in front and you will end up on toe picks. Lean back and you can fall.

The edges should really grip the ice, be sure your blades are sharpened to your level - pond skater or if you are in a class. They may seem sticky at first, tho.

Use blade guards when off the ice.

Be sure that inside edge really grips the ice before PUSH and hold leg out. It is lots of fun!!!

o

I recently retired and my husband and I have gotten back to ice skating. Love it - we do go to adult sessions and one is even free not far from us on a Friday morning. If they do not have recorded music I suggest an mp3 player (example) with a head phone w/ music you can get a good hard skate. It is wonderful exercise and we love the adult sessions. Unfortunately there are not too many of them around compared to 30 years ago when they were all around us and we would go twice a week with so much fun with the huge crowd. Give it a try if you live in the Cleveland/Medina County of Ohio I can let you know where to go. Hope that helps - right now at 65 years of age we look forward to your ice skating sessions and the people. have fun!

o

Ice skating can help you to replace fat with muscles. This is even easier if you are doing figure skating, which will need you to use lots of muscles. As with any type of exercise, you should do some stretching before skating. This will warm your body up and minimize the risks of pulling or straining your muscles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here