Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strength training and trainer questions

Posted by marie26 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 8, 07 at 11:08

Must I join a gym in order to learn strength training with a trainer? I don't have any equipment at home and don't know if someone can do this at home without equipment. Will a trainer come to my house to teach me if I have no equipment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strength training and trainer questions

There are two main issues with starting an exercise program. Incorrect posture(injuries happen this way) and pushing too hard,too fast being impatient(same outcome!). Fitness for health doesn't go to the fastest or the strongest.It goes to those who keep on keeping on at a steady,resonable pace. I'd start with a trainer to get help in those 2 very important areas. I'd go with someone I trusted on a gut level as well. I'm sure there are trainers that will come to your house but I've never done that so I don't know what they'd expect or charge. Good luck! PJ

o
RE: Strength training and trainer questions

Actually, I'm a personal trainer that owns my own in-home training business. I use a variety of equipment that I bring to the clients house (stability balls, bowflex adjustable dumbells, flex-tubes, medicine balls etc.) and I've been doing this for the last seven years. (I worked in a gym before that).

In anycase, pjtexgirl is right about starting with a trainer to be assessed for any current muscle imbalances and to learn good form and appropriate training regimes.

I think if you go to websites like Acefitness.org or NASM.org, they both list certified trainers all over the US. That would be a good start to find a certified personal trainer. I don't want to break any rules, so I hope posting this general sites is ok.

Cost depends on your area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here