Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rowing machines

Posted by jankey (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 4, 07 at 8:56

I use an elliptical every day but need to work on my upper body flab and have heard that the rower would be good for that. Would appreciate any advice and recommendations on brands, models, etc. Thanks. Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rowing machines

Have you thought of doing weight training for your upper body?
We have a Bowflex for that.
We used to have a Walton Rowbicisizer, but they don't make them any more. It was a great rowing machine, just like real rowing on a scull. There might be some used ones around. I don't know about any of the current types.

o

I think a bowflex-type machine would be the answer instead of having several machines. The plan now is to wait for several months and look for a used 'Christmas present' after the new has worn off.
Thanks for your advice. Jan

o

You're welcome. Get on their website and look at all their models to see which you want. Their newer one is nice, because you don't have to stop to change the cables every time you want to switch exercises and do them with a different weight. I don't remember exactly how it works, though. I need to go to their showroom and see the difference.
They come up used in the paper all times of the year around here. Check your local Craigs list too. By the way, you can do a rowing type exercise on it, but it's not as good as a separate rower. Enjoy!

o

Hi jankey, you might want to look into the different types of rowing machines, there are: air rowing machines, water rowing machines, gym rowing machines, and home rowing machines. Different types work for different purposes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rowing Machine Guide

o

Thanks for all the advice and info. I bought the Hot Cross Buns exerciser and will have to stay with that for now. It does work the arms a bit, as well as the legs, and -- it hurts!! so it must be doing some good.

o

A machine that you do 'fast' is cardio.... You gotta do machines that are for specific muscle groups and that you do 'slowly' to build muscles. Otherwise , eat less and the fat will disappear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here