Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minniemom I.e. pork

Posted by ilovepink (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 12, 06 at 22:18

The pork I do. I go to Sam's or Costco and get a large pork loin. Not the tenderloin. The large cut.

I cut that down the center but STOP about half an inch from the bottom or going all the way thru. Then the two cuts I again cut down the center w/o cutting thru. Then I put it all between saran wrap and beat it thin>

I make a mixture of apricots and prunes with garlic and onions. Then I put that all over the meat and roll it jellyroll style. Tie and bake.

I have made a whiskey sauce to go over it. But, it's not neccessary.

It's been a hit. It's good b/c you can cook it slow and then let it sit before slicing. It's very pretty on the plate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minniemom I.e. pork

Can you tell me more about the mixture you put on the meat?This sounds so goooood!!!

o

I need a picture! This sounds so darn good, but I know I'll screw it up royally by doing the wrong cuts. I understand the first cut... length wise right? What I don't understand is the second cut.

Boy this sounds delicious!

o

Lenght wise! I am trying to figure out how to better describe.

Put in on the chopping block. Cut down the middle without cutting all the way thru. Stop about a half inch from going all the way thru.

Now take the cut to the left and cut that down the middle without cutting all the way thru. Stop a half inch from going all the way thru.

Take the right cut (that is the biggest cut of meat at this point) and cut in the middle again and stop like you have done.

Place between saran wrap and beat it to death. :)

For the mixture. I have made it often. And of course I always play around withthe amounts.

Here are the ingredients:
8 slices firm white sandwich bread
1 cup chopped shallots or use a whole onion
3 cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups of chopped dried apricots
1 cup of dried prunes (I have done this recipe with out it
1 cup of pecans chopped (I have also done the recipe without and it's been fine)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 375F.
Make stuffing:
Cut bread into 1/3-inch pieces
Spread evenly in a shallow baking pan.
Toast bread in middle of oven, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes, then transfer to a bowl. Leave oven on (for pork).

Cook shallots and garlic in butter in a large nonstick skillet over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add apricots and prunes and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in bread, pecans salt, and pepper.

Spread over pork. Roll jelly roll style and tie.

Pat pork dry and and season well with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over high heat until very hot and just smoking, then brown pork on all sides, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a roasting pan and roast in middle of oven until a meat thermometer inserted diagonally 2 inches into meat (avoid stuffing) registers 160F, 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 20 minutes.

While loin is standing, straddle roasting pan across 2 burners. Add 1/2 cup water and deglaze pan by boiling over moderate heat, scraping up brown bits.

Slice meat and serve with sauce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here