Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amuse Bouche question

Posted by ottawapepper (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 07 at 20:00

Hello Good People,

Im new here, my name is Bill. I usually hang out in the Gardening Forums but find myself needing some entertaining advice.

If I may, Id like input from people on this forum.

Im serving a five course Christmas dinner. Prior to getting the first course underway, Im planning on serving an Amuse Bouche as guests sit down.

Im planning on serving a small champagne granita with a smoked salmon, brie and mushroom phyllo. Id like to rest the phyllo on a complimenting sauce or coulis.

I was thinking of Dijon mustard or a sweet red pepper jelly. Im not a big smoked salmon fan so Im not sure if my choices so far are good or off base. Any other suggestions?

Any input would be appreciated!

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amuse Bouche question

I think the jelly would be a safer choice, not everyone loves dijon.
Make it tiny, you have quite a feast coming up !!

o

Good point mitchdesj, I didn't think about that.

Yes, it will be small. It's actually a phyllo purse. Bite size.

Thanks,

Bill

o

I would rather something with a citrus flavor. How about a mango puree with lemoon zest?
Linda C

o

Interesting how our palates think!!!

I would be inclined to make a dill based sauce, perhaps sour cream, dijon, fresh dill, capers.

o

While I am not a cuisine expert (even if I live in Belgium and if we eat French cuisine), I think that the best ingredients o accompany smoked salmon are lemon or dill based mixtures ;-)

o

Thank you everyone for the advice.

I've decided on sour cream with dill. Great dsuggestions all around.

Merry Christmas,

Bill

o

Bill I got thinking about this and I think a creme fraiche may be more interesting than the sour cream, although the sour cream would be lovely too.

I make mine with equal parts heavy cream and sour cream (1 cup each). Whisk together, cover with plastic wrap and let sit out on the counter overnight or until thickened.

Cover tightly and refrigerate for 4 hours.

Lovely tart flavour.

o

Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks again for the suggestions. I settled for the following lemon dill sauce to accent the salmon phyllo purse:

1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill

Mixed the first five ingredients until smooth and then stirred in the dill. It made 2/3 cup.

It was a huge success!

Bill

o

fabulous, I'll jot down this recipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here