Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Open House/Christmas Party

Posted by cookie8 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 17, 06 at 18:16

I am hosting my 1st open house/Christmas party. We moved, on the same street, to another house. Now, I know everyone well, but it is a neighbour thing and I worded it as thanks for everyone helping out in the move/come see our new house... and I got a couple of responses already and they asked if they could bring anything and I said it's up to them and they of course, will. Now, I feel bad, in an open house should I be taking care of it all? I mean, easily I can but it came out as sure, bring whatever you like. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Open House/Christmas Party

I would not say that to any more people.....and perhaps call those back who said they would bring "something"....and say you think it would be easier if you just did it all...
And unless it's a planned pot luck....you could be over run with salads or something.
Linda C

o

Personally, when I have a party, I like to handle the food myself. I know many people nowadays do accept offers for guests to bring food, but in my experience, in those cases the host usually asks what is going to be brought to help cut down on duplicates, etc..

You also have to remember many people have been taught to offer to bring something with the assumption the host may decline. So, many of your guests may really not want to bring things. I would decline offers and prepare the food yourself especially since the party is serving as a thank you type party too.

If a guest really wants to bring something, they will do so in the form of a hostess or housewarming gift.

Very close friends and relatives (like moms and sisters) are exempt from the rule, though, (at least in my book) and may even be asked to bring specific things -- LOL!

o

I'm always THRILLED if anyone asks to bring anything, since that's rare these days. :) Your party sounds like it will be very casual and laid back, so I wouldn't worry about how you handled it.

If I'm in a similar situation and someone were to offer to bring something, I tell them what I'm planning to have to eat and drink... then I tell them that if they prefer some other particular drink, bring that. It's easy for everyone that way -- and they always show up empty-handed because they realize that I have it all under control. :)

carla35, I'm on the exempt list too. lol!

o

For 25 years we have had a Christmas Eve open house from 6:30 to 10:30 P.M. It is an anticipated event usually attended by 125 of our closest friends. This is not a dinner of any sort but we always have a considerable spread of various snacks. Several people always bring offerings of their own but this is never a requirement, just something they want to do.

o

Well, tried backpeddling and of course they won't have it any other way. That's fine. I'm still making the same amount I planned on. Off to the recipe exchange for Devilled Eggs, haven't had them since I was a little girl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here