Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When should dinner be served after guests arrive?

Posted by kiwichase (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 27, 06 at 15:12

What is the proper timing of serving dinner after family guests arrive? I usually tell people to come at 5:00 p.m., we will be eating at 6:00 p.m. or something like that. My in-laws tell us to come at 3:00 p.m. and then do not serve dinner till 6:00 or 7:00 p.m. When we ask them when dinner will be served they say just to come down - they never answer us. Is there a general rule of etiquette for when dinner is to be served?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When should dinner be served after guests arrive?

It all depends on how much socializing and how formal a dinner is.

At my house, we have very informal gatherings. I host a "desperate housewives" party every second Sunday. My sister in law hosts on the other Sundays. We usually show up when we show up... and eat when dinner is ready anytime after 5.

For our Christmas dinner... we had to wait for the darned potatoes! We wanted to serve at around 5:30, but the potatoes seemed to be stubborn. Due to the potatoes, we had to wait for the gravy (we add potato water to add flavor and help thicken as well). So, we eventually ate at 6:15! It's a good thing that it was only well loved family, and everyone had a great time socializing as we cooked.

But, like I said, it all depends. I THINK that you have it about right though according to "set rules". Dinner at about 1 hour after arrival. In our family, rules seem to be made to be broken LOL!

o

OMG, kiwichase, our in-laws must be related. The SIL always says to come "around noon". I have always asked what I could bring and she has always insisted "nothing". There have been times she hasn't served food until after 7pm!!! and she NEVER offers a drink, and never serves appetizers or munchies. These are usually get-togethers for 10-12 people, most of them driving one hour or more to get there (including us). Once I realized this was her usual 'MO', I tried to bring plenty to drink and munch on -- and she would get MAD at me because everyone would eat what I brought. Of course they would! they were HUNGRY! ugh!

This is the first year I ever declined their holiday get-together invitation. lol!

I always plan to serve dinner one hour after the time I tell people to arrive. [BTW: SIL always shows up TWO HOURS or more late... once with a bag of sweetcorn that needed to be shucked and cooked. I just stuck it in the fridge. lol!]

:)

o

When we are having people in for dinner, we usually invite them to arrive at 6:00-6:30. We generally visit and we offer a variety of drinks, wine, tea, water, and have some lite snacks. We plan to eat no later than 45 minutes after folks arrive. Food is planned to be ready about 10-15 minutes before we are ready to eat. Obviously, we are not early diners as no children are involved. This is mainly for more formal dinners and we live in an area where later dining is more the norm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here