Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michie1_gw

What goes with a Xmas ham?

michie1
19 years ago

My family normally has a traditional Cuban Xmas Eve dinner - pork, rice & beans, etc. BUT this yr were having a honey baked ham. What side dishes go well with a holiday ham?

Michie

Comments (17)

• lindac
    19 years ago

Scalloped potatoes....creamed potatoes....twice baked potatoes ( not all at once)....chunky stewed spiced apples....baked pineapple...
    Just to start the ball rolling...
    Linda C

• lpinkmountain
    19 years ago

I had ham this weekend at a party, with sweet potatoes. That was great! Ham goes well with so many things! It's good with greens too.

• mary_md7
    19 years ago

Mashed butternut squash goes very well with ham, because it's rather sweet.

• michie1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Do mashed potatoes go & if so how are those pkts of gravy since I won't have any meat to make gravy from?

Michie

• lindac
    19 years ago

Forget the gravy on the mashed potatoes.....gravy packets are awful!...just add some roasted garlic and lots of sour cream when you mash them....who needs gravy if you have enough sour cream and butter!? LOL!
    Linda C

• michie1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

we like regular mashed potatoes not garlic ones
    and sour cream - GROSS!!!!

• lindac
    19 years ago

Then you MIGHT like the gravy packet....
    Instant gravy what a concept....and instant mashed potatoes....much easier and better than real potatoes with roasted garlic and sour cream.

• jane__ny
    19 years ago

Mashed sweet potatoes or candied.

• chase_gw
    19 years ago

I think I'd skip the mashed potatoes if you think they need a gravy packet......

Mashed sweet or scalloped would be better potato choices. Baked beans is a "gotta have" when we have ham.

• chery2
    19 years ago

This question came up on another forum, and I copied several of the recipes: corn pudding, brocolli/raisin salad[yum!], and some kind of white potato casserole called a "filler." chery

• crystal01
    19 years ago

Michie1 - we added honey baked ham to our traditional Cuban Xmas Eve dinner of pork, rice & beans, etc LOL!

Nothing better than grinding the left over pork and ham together to make croquetas!

Feliz Año Nuevo!

• bthornell_sbcglobal_net
    17 years ago

Plain mashed potatoes just don't stack up to garlic mashed potatoes. In my opinion, you should go light on the garlic just to give a hint of flavor. A little pepper and butter. Mmmmm. Haven't tried the sour cream, but that sounds good, too. Or maybe a little Creme Fraiche instead of sour cream.

• caliloo
    17 years ago

I dunno - if someone doesn't like the sound of garlic and sour cream in their mashed potatoes, then the gravy packets are perfect!

There is no accounting for taste (or lack of).

Alexa

• lindac
    17 years ago

My did made a wonderful mashedpotato dish last T'giving...and I hope she does it again this year...
    Pretty much what it was was about 5 large whith russets and one small sweet potato peeled, cut up and bliled and while theyw ere boiling there were a couple of cloves of gralic roasting in foil in the toaster oven.
    When the potatoes were done, they got the roasted garlic squeesed into them and were mashed with butter and sour cream....salt and pepper...quite a bit of pepper.
    You wouldn't know there were sweet potatoes in the mashed potatoes...but my were they good!
    Linda C

• lindac
    17 years ago

That should have been my DIL..LOL!

• carla35
    17 years ago

I like carrots with Ham -- either baby ones with butter and sugar or in a casserole form.

If your not feeling the mashed potatoes, how about potatoes Au Gratin?

Pineapple casserole and broccoli rice casseroles are other ideas.

I like things with cheese when I'm serving ham...they just seem to go --and hey, you can never have enough chesse. Even a homemade mac 'n cheese make work for a brunch.

• becky_ca
    17 years ago

We like scalloped potatoes, applesauce and roasted asparagus. I've also made corn pudding or a rice casserole instead of the potatoes - here's a couple of recipes for you.

Becky
    Lompoc, CA

* Exported from MasterCook *

Broccoli Rice Casserole

Recipe By :Taste of Home
    Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 small onion -- chopped
    1/2 cup celery -- chopped
    10 ounces frozen broccoli -- chopped
    1 tablespoon butter
    8 ounces processed American cheese
    10 3/4 ounces cream of mushroom soup, condensed
    5 ounces evaporated milk
    3 cups cooked rice

In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onion, celery and broccoli in butter for 3-5 minutes. Stir in cheese, soup and milk until smooth. Place rice in a greased 8 inch square baking dish. Pour cheese mixture over; do not stir. Bake, uncovered, at 325F for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Can use steamed fresh broccoli and regular milk instead.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn Pudding

Recipe By :Marilyn Chatham
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 box Jiffy corn bread mix
    1 can yellow corn -- drained
    1 can creamed corn
    2 eggs -- beaten
    1 small onion -- chopped

Combine all ingredients. Bake in greased 9 x 9 pan at 350F for 45-50 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A nice side dish with ham.

Sponsored