Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Open House invitation, need to R.S.V.P???

Posted by millymoo (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 10:47

Hi all!
My husband & I would like to hold a Christams Open House either a few days before the day or shortly after. It will be for friends, family & neighbors we don't know too well. We are new to the neighborhood, have been working on re-habbing our old house for a year before we moved into it this September.

I would like to include on the e-vites & paper ones; 'No need to R.S.V.P.' I just think that it's a casual open-house-I don't expect some of them to respond. I'd like it to be something they can feel no pressure to attend if they have other obligations since I know people are busy over the holidays. Is this alright to do?

Entertaining is largely foreign to me so please advise. I have read 'Lessons in Entertaining here on the forum & it's filling me with dread,lol!

A friend asked 'How do you know how much food & drink to provide if they don't R.S.V.P? I just figure I'll provide enough drinks, cookies & app's for the amount of invitations sent more or less. It will be buffet style with a food table and a drinks table where guests can help themselves.

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Open House invitation, need to R.S.V.P???

Around here, 'Open House' means that no RSVPs are required/expected. The "No need to RSVP" on invitations would be redundant.

I would use at least 90% of the invitation head-count when deciding how much food/beverage to have -- unless you know that a large percentage of those invited will likely be unable to attend due to weather/driving distance, having to work during the hours of your Open House, etc.

o

Better also check local / national sporting events. I got skunked at an open house one year by a Green Bay Packers game. Open house was to end at 5, game ended at 4:30pm and everyone came after that!! Needless to say, it was a long evening, but they did eat and drink everything I had planned they would!.

Steve

o

Thanks for the replies & good advice. I have left the R.S.V.P off the invitations and am pretty sure they're's no big game on the day of the open house-hopefully all will be good!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here