Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping food warm but not overcooking

Posted by black-thumb (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 31, 10 at 10:23

Hi all

I host Christmas every year and have a problem with the meat drying out when in the chafers. I usually cook for about two days straight since I have 20 people coming over and my menu is extensive. I also cook extra so that my guest all leave with leftovers which really came in handy this year since the blizzard hit right after Christmas.

The problem is people kinda nosh on this and that throughout the day/night ( 2 p.m. - midnight) so I don't want the food to get cold by eliminating the flame underneath but it tends to dry out the meat.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to keep the meat juicy so that the leftovers taate just as good. The chafers keeps everything warm but tends to continue the cooking too. I don't even use both sternos just one.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping food warm but not overcooking

Hi black-thumb. I'm sorry that nobody has come back with any suggestions. And I'm sorry that I don't have any. This is a problem I face, as well.

o

Don't put all the meat out at once. Chill what you're not consuming immediately and reheat it in batches as it is consumed. Not only is it not drying out this way, it is safer.

o

Thanks Suzieque :)

Colleenoz

You know...lol I can't believe that never crossed my mind! Its so simple LOL. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here