Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michie1_gw

Dessert Night

michie1
21 years ago

I'm having about 4 couples over for a holiday dessert night. I plan to serve reg & decaf coffee & tea & several desserts consisting of asst. cookies, a flan, either a key lime pie or a cherry cheese pie, choc cake out of a box mix drizzled with white & milk choc. & fresh fruit. Any other suggestions for easy to make yummy desserts that are a hit? How 'bout a jello mold? Is there anything I'm missing?

Should I do something more special with the coffee? I don't have a cappuccino machine.

Should I also be serving cocktails?

Should I be offering any other types of snacks like cheese & crackers & chips & dips or is that not nec.?

Michie

Comments (8)

• robin_DC
    21 years ago

Sounds like a fun evening. When I have dessert parties, I usually serve wine, and also have water, some kind of soda or punch available for those who want something other than coffee, tea, water, or alcohol. I would not offer other kinds of snacks, provided that you have told them you're having a dessert night (as opposed to a cocktail party); I think that a big part of the fun (and decadence) is having nothing but sweets.

• sharon_fl
    21 years ago

An easy but really decadent looking dessert is a cherry Boston Cream Pie. You simply bake a yellow cake in (2) 10" round pans. Once cooled-cut any rounded tops off-so cakes are completely flat. While cakes are baking..make up 1 box of vanilla pudding (NOT instant-use the cooked one-decreasing the milk so it's thick when done. Cool in fridge until real cold. Open a can of cherry pie filling & have some toasted slivered almonds on hand, and a tub of cool whip. Place one layer of cake on serving tray, spread the pudding on the cake-coming to about an inch from the edge. Place the other layer of cake on top & rock it gently so it sits firm. The witha rubber spatula-gently spread the pie filling on top. Stick some toothpicks in the top & cover w/plastic wrap & refridgerate until party time. Remove & place 8-10 high 'dollops' of cool whip around the edge-better yet-if you can use a pastry bag-do it that way. It looks best when the dollop is equally placed (designating each serving). Sprinkle w/almonds for garnish.

• ReneeKY
    21 years ago

Michie -
    I'd vote "no" on the jello mold, but maybe something with caramel. A shortbread type cookie would be nice, too.

As for the coffee -- strong, fresh, a nice smooth roast and no flavored coffee. You have such a nice array of desserts, a flavored coffee would just detract from them. If you have a good micro-roaster nearby, a Sumatran/Guatamalan blend would be nice with the deserts.

The cocktails aren't necessary, but someone might appreciate a sparkling bottled water.

Sounds like fun!

• michie1
    Original Author
    21 years ago

OK, so I'll include some wine, sparkling water & a punch. I'l leave out any flavored coffees & the jello. The Cherry Boston Cream Pie sounds perfect & so easy. Any other ideas would be great.

• ReneeKY
    21 years ago

Oops, just saw the flan on the list you mentioned, so there's your caramel flavor taken care of. :) (Flan and coffee - match made in heaven!)

Just make sure the cream (or diary) and sugar is available to those who want it, put on some seasonal music, and enjoy your own party!

I've known people to forget that last part about having fun. LOL!

• sharon_fl
    21 years ago

Oh-if you'd like to serve a 'sweet treat' beverage that looks festive? It's called an "Antifreeze".
    Ingredients
    Swiss Miss chocolate packets (1 per serving)
    peppermint schnapps
    whipped cream
    candy canes

Directions: Keep your teakettle full of boiling hot water. Then when someone wants one of these-simply place the cocoa in a tall mug, add 1 shot of schnapps, top w/whipped cream & add stand a candy cane in the mug. A small spoon as well. A real warmerupper!!

Want a DELICIOUS coffee? Go to a Dunkin' Donuts & buy a pound of their coffee-it is SO good-even in a home coffeemaker. Plus-it doesn't get so strong after sitting any length of time-

• robin_DC
    21 years ago

I've made this mocha fudge pie from cooking light several times and it's always a hit with chocolate lovers. Plus it's pretty easy to make. To make it seem more festive, I like to decorate the top with choclate curls or prepackaged chocolate decorations.

Here is a link that might be useful: mocha fudge pie

• babblingbetty
    21 years ago

will someone please share a tasty red punch..no pulp..no alcohol...need for church group of about 25/30. would like to try one of those with strawberry jello...or koolaide...be merry
    PS: Need ASAP

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County