Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
black_thumb

Which one for my Christmas table?

black-thumb
15 years ago

Hi Everyone

I was hoping to get some opinions on my christmas setting. I was around last year trying to decide on which chargers to get. I have done a few different table set ups for you all to judge. The look I want to go for is traditional red and green with plaids, berries and pinecones. However I do want to dress it up so that its not too country style. I want to add a little glamour so I figured the best way to do that would be to add some gold or silver or both. So far I have ended up with gold and think I am going to go with that as the added color. In the photos I used a sheet and a bed skirt for the table cloth. I didn't have a red cloth one so I bought some cheap red tissue paper at the 99cents store. The table is only set up for four but imagine it set up for twelve so there would be a second candle centerpiece and one more hurricane set up on a longer table.

So here are my questions:

1. Which table cloth color looks best?

Green, red or white

I don't really have to ask about the red chargers because they are too dark. More maroon really. With the dinnerware I have I would need a much lighter red color. A nice deep green would probably work too but I haven't come across that color anywhere.

2. What color candles should I use with the center centerpiece?

White, green, red, gold, silver, cream

What color candles if any should I use with the taller hurricanes?

White, green, red, gold, silver, cream

How does the silver silverware work with the gold?

I am concerned about this but I don't have the money this year to purchase gold silverware.

My thoughts. When I first set up the table with the green tablecloth I thought it looked traditional but with a touch of elegance. The green on the table really makes the gold chargers pop I think. The white I like also but think it does nothing for the gold chargers but it does make the gold hurricanes stand out. I was considering adding a long rectangular mirror under the centerpiece and hurricanes for the white table cloth. Any thoughts on that?The red is kinda nice too but I may need a deeper red than that tissue paper would be better and maybe green charger? I'm still not sure which to go with.

Please ignor the mess in the backround.

Finally the pics!

Green table cloth

Red table cloth

White table cloth

Comments (15)

• lindac
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think that green is the color to go with for the cloth...
    What's with the knife at the top of the plate? Never saw that placement before...dessert fork or spoon, but knife? And properly the forks go at the left and the knives and spoons at the right.
    I would use ivory candles for both the hurricanes and the center piece.
    The "silver" flatware is fine....please don't even consider "gold" silverware.
    What will you be serving? I find that even a simple but tasteful table setting and good food is infintly preferable to an elaborate setting and mediocre food. However if you can manage great food and a beautiful table, that's the best!
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: setting the table

• carla35
    15 years ago

I like the green tablecloth the best too. I think if you use green, you should go with red candles. I would tend to lean towards a darker red shade but gold candles may look cool too.

My second choice would be the white table cloth with darker green candles.

I'd have to see the mirror. It sounds like it could look nice but it may sort of clash (or compete) with the gold chargers.

I know you said service will be for 12 so everything will probably get spaced out some... The center looks a little crowded as is now especially if you add candles. Sometimes less really is more so don't over do it.

Bottom line, though, I really think all the table colors and any candle color would be fine so you can't really go wrong. They all look great!

Oh, and, the color of your silverwear is fine.

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda C

Ignore the placing of the silverware I just plopped it on the table for the photos. I serve a huge meal some say too much but my family loves it. I usually have four different types of meat with a wide variety of sides. A few different cakes, pies, puddings and trifles. I taught myself to cook via recipe books. This year will be my third year as hostess and I improve each year and the table looks different each year as I purchase new items to use. Its a process. I'm actually going to have a second table set up for another four people. I would have more people but I just don't have the space. :(

Carla35

Would you use the red or gold candles for the candle centerpiece and the hurricanes or just the candle centerpiece?

Yeah it will be more spaced this is just a mock set up on two folding tables.

Thanks to you both for your comments. :)

• carla35
    15 years ago

Concerning the candles. Originally I was thinking the green table needed a little more red, but when I think about it, I think the gold candles would look nice for both the hurricanes and the centerpiece. Granted, if you could find a deep red that matches the berries, it may look good for both things too. To tell you the truth, I'd almost have to see them all (and lit) to see which I would like better.

Gold candles in gold hurricanes when lit could look really cool!

• party_music50
    15 years ago

Hello black-thumb :)

It sounds like you're up to 16 for dinner now? (the original 12 you mentioned, plus 4 more). How fun! and what pretty pieces you have to work with!

My preference would be for the white or green tablecloth -- use the white if you want it to look more formal. You mentioned "traditional... berries, pinecones..." and it seems you're leaning toward the green, so go with it! I was going to suggest that a gold runner down the center of the table might pull it all together for either color... Your idea of a mirror underlining the centerpiece and hurricanes would probably look stunning! but I'd probably only use the mirror with the white tablecloth, since it's so "formal". If you already have such a mirror, then see how it looks with the green!

In both cases, I'd choose white/ivory or gold candles for the centerpiece and hurricanes.

A simple idea for dressing it up and pulling it all together color-wise is to get some shiny glass xmas ornaments and place them strategically around the table, sprinkle the tablecloth with large mixed shiny sequins and strung beads, etc. Less formal would use pinecones, strung cranberries, etc.

Another idea for getting the color coordination and look you want would be to create homemade "nametags/placecards" for each place setting. Or decorative "favors" that each guest could take home. They could go on each plate, or near each setting, depending on what you create. For less formal use things like pinecones/berries, for more formal use shiny gold ornaments... or maybe something made with shiny ribbons? (I'm picturing some ideas in my head. lol!)

Just my 2 cents, and worth every penny. lol!

• dreamhouse1
    15 years ago

Linda, interesting comment on the salad fork per your link. I have never seen the salad fork to the right of the dinner fork. I think most people think 'start from the outside and work inward'. In this case, is the salad served with the entree as opposed to before the entree?

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for the ideas and thoughts.

I will give it another go this weekend. I'll try and find some red material and use that instead of tissue paper. I actually have a gold piece of material that I used under the tree last year that I could use for a runner with the white. I'll take my beat up door mirror and try that out on the table as well.

Party Music 50

Yup happens every year. I start out with around 10 and it goes up.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Dreamhouse, at a formal dinner and/or in Europe, the salad is served after the meat course. Yes, you are correct, start at the outside and work in, and if you are serving the salad before the main course put the salad fork to the left of the dinner fork.
    Linda C

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

This might be a dumb question, but are you planning on buying real tablecloths? I like the red the best, btw.
    A tablecloth with an embroidered border would be nice too.

• socalgirl_2008
    15 years ago

Black Thumb, You might want to post this on the Holiday forum, as they do some beautiful tablescapes over there.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

What color napkins are you going to use? Are you using a runner? I like the red if you can get the right red. I would use green napkins.

I think the centerpiece and the candles will work as long as they have enough space and not all scrunched up. I would use gold candles.

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL

Yeah I will be using real table cloths. I will repost this in the holiday forum at some point. I found a beautiful rich red material and a very nice green one so I will be redoing the tables and reposting photos.

• carla35
    15 years ago

That would be nice to see. I can't help thinking that maybe the fabric of the tableclothes may have influenced my opinion some. Please post your pictures here too.

You know I was half watching someone on tv this morning setting a table and I thought they said the trick to a nice table is to pick ONE color and stick with it. I'm thinking if maybe you did everything in gold (well,with the exception of the plates) it could look really elegant. Have you tried a gold tablecloth? It sounds like it could be too much, but the table they had (which was mainly all silver) looked really nice. You could get one of those slighty shimmery gold clothes. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there; it seems like you're wanting to try different things/looks. I really think all of the place settings you have posted so far would look really good - you can't really good wrong.

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm thinking of some new ideas. Might get some new glasses too. So when they come in I will give it another try. I have a relative in the hospital right now so it won't be in the next week or anything.

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi

I haven't really been trying out different looks with the table, I've pretty much just tried it out again with the new material. A pretty high sheen satin red and a green that I think is too dull. I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the stores so I will be going with the red. The green is just a little too much on the dark side. The red is out there but still for some reason its appeals to me. I wanted green candles but can't find any, wanted a plaid runner or green runner with gold trim but no luck there either. So I have just spent my time getting the other decorations up instead of focusing anymore on the table. Too much other stuff going on and I need to be ready for the day itself. Thanks all for the ideas, support and help. There is always next year to try agian. :)

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County