Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

Wine has turned...how do you tell the hostess..or don't you...

cookingrvc
21 years ago

We have gone to a friends house on a number of occasions where they served wine that had clearly turned. We think that they don't realize that wine goes bad after a short period of time.

They are not big wine drinkers and we think that they keep it around for a long period of time and open it for the next round of entertaining.

We always bring wine when we go, hoping that they will use it, but it seems they want to finish whatever is on hand first.

Although no one else thinks we should tell them, I think we're good enough friends to whisper discretely to the hostess that the wine appears to have turned. I would want someone to tell me.

On the other hand, I have no problem keeping my mouth shut and requesting a mixed drink until all the open wine is drunk by my buddies.

What would you do?

Sue

Comments (9)

• lindac
    21 years ago

Well....if your buddys are drinking the wine....
    I guess I would tell them......but I'm not sure it's really the thing to do....If some of the guests don't find anything wrong with it.....you will come off like a snob ( but is that Bad??)
    I'm reminded of the time I offered my daughter ( a grown up lady with 4 kids...I thought!) a glass of wine that had been opened 3 days before....."Pooh! Fwack! ( wiping her mouth!) Yuck!....that's bad!"....rushing to the sink to dump it out! LOL! Depends on how well you know the hostess.
    Linda C

• ann_t
    21 years ago

Sue, I would take two bottles of wine with me the next time I was invited. Tell them that one of the bottles is for them to enjoy another time, and one you brought to share now.

Ann.

• cookingrvc
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Lindac,

Everyone knows the wine has turned, just no one wants to tell her. I would want to know and we know them well enough to discretely say something.

It is true that it depends upon how well you know the person. I am quite comfortable with them, not sure why this is an issue and why we insist on suffering in silence. Not doing anyone any good.

Ann, that is a good idea, however, since I usually bring a hostess gift and food, one bottle should suffice (since they cleary don't drink wine on a frequent basis, it's a shame to bring a bottle for 'later' and have it go bad, expensive or not) with the statement that we are anxious to try the wine.

Thank you both for the input.

• beachbum
    21 years ago

Maybe next time you could take them one of those wine saver pumps, or one of those gas things you spray into the bottle. Just tell them that you know they don't drink wine often and this should help keep the wine ok for the next 2 or 3 days. So in essence discretely hinting...

*(Note to say that I think the pump will save it till the next day, but the gas seems to last a little longer)

• chase_gw
    21 years ago

Sue perhaps you could bring the general topic up at a get together other than at their home. Perhaps at your home you could say something like....."Honey could you open a fresh bottle of wine, don't serve the one in the fridge it's been open for a few days and will be off"

It's really all a matter of not knowing so find a way to enlighten your friend...I'm sure if she knew she wouldn't serve the wine.

Having said that one of my sisters refuses to throw out wine regardless of how long it's been open...she'll drink it!

PS: An unfinished bottle of wine is a concept I just can't get my head around !!! LOL

• eileen_launonen
    21 years ago

I would definately say something especially if you know them well...but me I have a big mouth anyway so even if it were my DH boss Id pull the wife to the side and give her a heads up!

• ReneeKY
    21 years ago

Say something, discreetly, but do say something. If they aren't drinking it, they won't know otherwise.

• SAG1
    21 years ago

I was not aware this could happen to wine. I thought wine got better with age.

• ann_t
    21 years ago

Sag1

Some wines when left unopened and stored properly do get better with age. In fact it is necessary to cellar certain wines before drinking. But.......the wine that Sue is referring to is a bottle that has been opened a few days or longer prior to serving. Once a bottle is opened it starts to oxidize and to deteriorate.

Ann.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms