Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy but GOOD bread for a party of 25???

Posted by moo_ (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 07 at 19:58

Hi. I'm having a dinner party for about 25 and we're having roast loin strip roast, roasted potatoes and onions and I'm going to try a new creamed english pea dish as a side.

I need a delicious but easy bread to serve. I love the idea of dinner yeast rolls but making them is out of the question with all I have to do.

Can anyone recommend something that is pre made or close to it that would be really good?

Thanks, Moo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy but GOOD bread for a party of 25???

Make the rolls up to a week ahead and freeze them....reheat in the oven, wrapped in foil.
Mrs. Averys Rolls

2C Scalded Milk, cooled to warm temperature
3T Shortening or Butter, Melted
C Sugar
1 t salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 pkgs yeast (or 1T bulk yeast)
1/3 warm water
4-5 cups flour

Dissove the yeast in the warm water (about 105 degrees) with a teaspoon of the sugar, wait until it foams. While waiting for the yeast to foam, mix the milk, butter, remaining sugar and salt. After the yeast foams, add the yeast mixture to it, and the two beaten eggs to the mixture. Either by hand or in a stand mixer, blend in flour a cup at a time until the dough is soft and fairly sticky. Turn onto a floured board and knead just until the dough is no longer sticky, but is smooth and satiny.

Let rise until doubled, punch down, knead a little, then shape into rolls. Bake at 350 until golden. May brush with egg wash or butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Also good rolled in butter and cinnamon sugar. Dough is a good base dough for a variety of sweet breads like cinnamon rolls or brioche.

o

Thanks! What a great idea.

So do I just thaw them out the morning of the party at room temp and then reheat or do I leave them frozen and then reheat?

o

Either way.....I usually thaw in the foil....and put into a 300 degree oven, still in the foil for about 15 minutes for thawed...or 25 to 30 for un-thawed.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here