Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does one bring a gift to an engagement party?

Posted by laurie_ky6 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 20, 06 at 14:42

If so, are certain types of gifts traditional? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does one bring a gift to an engagement party?

You don't HAVE to bring a gift....but it's nice. A small household gift is nice...I am still using a package of 3 Madeira napkins I got...and my daughter a pair of champagne glasses.
Linda C

o

It used to be that engagemnet parties were meant as an occasion for the families and friends of the bride and groom to celebrate the announcment and to meet each other, get to know each other. It seems to me now it is more a part of the process. Engagement party, showers, stags, stagettes, doe and stags, rehersal party.......etc.

We have been invited to several engagement parties of late and it seems most people bring gifts. I try and give someting that is memorable to the couple but not over the top. Very nice picture frame, flower vase, candle sticks, things like that.

Oh and in some cultures people give cash...I don't go there, not for an engagement, I want to give a keepsake.

o

I think that this really depends a lot on the community. In the northeast US, at least in many communities there, people give cash for wedding gifts and "thing" gifts for engagement gifts. I'm from the midwest and my husband is from NY. When we got married (1982), his parents' friends gave us stuff like place settings of china for engagement gifts -- and that's even without a party -- and cash for wedding gifts. My parents' friends gave us "thing" gifts for the wedding and no engagement presents, except for some very close friends, who gave small engagement gifts (ring holder, lingerie bag, etc.).
If I were attending an engagement party, I'd probably bring a small gift, unless I had already sent one or it were very close to the wedding.

o

You never have to. If they are a close friend or family member then I would.

The appropriate engagement gifts are monogrammed towels, napkins, tablecloth.

Again it's not a must. It's never a must to give a gift at all. Only it's a nice gesture and very thoughtful when done. Of course hopefully always fully appreciated.

o

I agree that some sort of keepsake is a wonderful gift! Candlesticks, two champagne glasses, monogrammed towels, etc are all very appropriate IMO.

You also might want to consider a picture frame (those wedding photos will have to go somewhere).

Alexa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here