Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bparanoid

Is it just me?

bparanoid
21 years ago

My wife and I are 30 years old with a 3 year old. Our circles of friends are in similar situations. It seems that ever since the children came into the picture all we do is met up at each otherÂs homes to watch TV, drink coffee and end the night by 9:00 P.M. Is this not the things 80 year olds do with Tea? Even the Parties are a lot of the same i.e.: TV, Coffee Goodnight!

I remember the gatherings my parents had when there were 30. What a blast! Are the times different?

Are there any 30 year olds with children out there that have somewhat of a social life?

Is it just my circle of friends? IÂd hate to lose them as we all go back to when we were children.

Anyone in the same dilemma?

Comments (5)

• beachbum
    21 years ago

Maybe your group does this becuase it's easy? At least you still make time to be together!

Instead of looking for new friends why don't you lead the way in hosting a different type of event? We don't have kids yet, (and you didn't specify if kids attended these events) but how about a game night? a great one to start with is Cranium or a themed get together like mexican or italian? or an oyster roast. Or just start by NOT turning on the TV. I can't ever remember watching TV at someone else's house except for sports.
    Another tip is to invite new people to join you. It gives everyone new stuff to talk about.

• prairie_rose
    21 years ago

I don't think it is just you, my circle of friends wound up doing basically the same thing, only it was for cards instead of TV, unless there was a special on. Hockey, of course, in Canada, takes precidence over anything, so we never count the time everyone is glued to the game.

A lot of why you are doing what you are is:
    1. Lack of trustworthy babysitters.
    2. Lack of cheap babysitting
    3. No energy for the hangover the next day.
    4. No energy for kids on little sleep the next day.
    5. Lack of money to go out and do something different all the time.

The times, they are achanging, as the song goes.

Rose

• duckie
    21 years ago

With my circle of friends, we have almost never gotten together to watch TV. One time there was a big hockey championship and we got together to watch it, but I think that was about it.

Invite people over to play cards or other games. Invite them over to jointly cook an elaborate meal or maybe have them over to share in Christmas cookie baking. Start up a book club and have people over to talk about the book. Invite people over to make holiday crafts. If you go out to a show with another couple or two, invite them over to your place for a bit afterwards.

I suspect your memories of your parents' parties aren't quite accurate. A bunch of people got together to have fun. There may have been excited preparations you were witness to. Special guest food may have been made or purchaced. And just when the excitement was about to begin, you were sent to bed. You got to hear people have fun, but you weren't really a witness to it. And you could only imagine what all excitement was happening.

• jenn
    21 years ago

My parents hosted luau parties for their friends and they truly were great parties. I agree with you, I think times have changed.

• ReneeKY
    21 years ago

Just a thought -- those of you who remember your parents giving great parties...did both parents work full time? Or did they have help preparing for the parties? That can make a big difference.

I'm not much older than you. When my parents were the same age, it was considered rude to have the TV going with guests present or during dinner. Times definitely have changed on that score - it's pretty much accepted as a given now. Boy, I love the look on people's faces when they try to turn on the telly at our place and realize....we don't HAVE one. :)