Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nesco roaster

Posted by columbusgardener (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 9, 08 at 9:53

I hurt my back and I am really anxious about cooking a turkey in the oven this year. Have any of you cooked a turkey in a nesco and had it come out like they would if they were roasted in the oven?

can I still stuff it? should I put it up on a rack? gosh making reservations is starting to sound so much better....

any help would be welcome

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nesco roaster

I have cooked a turkey in an electric roaster....more than just a few times. It's fine...yes you can stuff it and Yes I put the turkey on a rack.
Linda C

o

I had to ask - just because the manufacture says its so means nothing to me anymore..

thank you Linda - from the middle of my back

o

Use a rack. My mother used a Nesco type roaster (I don't know what brand it was) in the 50's and 60's to cook her turkeys at the holidays. They came out great, and did get a nice brown skin. My sister in law did one in a new Nesco a couple of years ago, and did not use a rack. The juices collected around the turkey, and it ended up being a boiled turkey!! Tasted okay, but the texture was strange.

o

If my link doesn't work, do a search (entire site) and you will find several long threads on the Nesco roaster which are totally favorable. I recently bought my first one and love it!! Ordered it directly from the manufacturer as there were none that I could find locally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nesco roaster threads

o

Amazon.com has good prices & selections of Nesco & other brands of electric ovens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roaster ovens on amazon.com

o

Our church just held their annual Turkey dinner today. We cooked 16 turkeys in roasters and they turned out great. We just seasoned them with S & P, added about 1/2 gal. water and cooked at 350 for about 4 hours. The skin doesn't really brown but it tastes great. BTW we cooked a total of 40 turkeys and fed 1100 people!! whew... what a day!

o

I second what mammacass said. I did my Christmas turkey in a Nesco roaster a few years back. It tasted fine, but I did not have any luck with browning. To me, that has some appeal, so I use the roaster for other things, but not my turkey anymore. If a nice roasted skin isn't a major factor for you, the Nesco will get the bird cooked just fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here