Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

A party food challenge for you

alisande
20 years ago

Hi All - I'm co-hosting an annual party on Saturday. I like to serve a variety of unusual finger foods, so I usually do a lot of cooking ahead. This year my kitchen has been remodeled, and the range isn't hooked up yet. The gas company is scheduled to come tomorrow, but I don't know what time, and in any case I'll believe they're here when I see them.

My challenge to you is this: Can you give me some recipes for munchies that are both easy and quick to prepare, and not something everyone has had 100 times? Ideally, some of these will require no cooking at all, just in case the gas company lets me down (again).

I saw the baked brie recipe and the cream cheese with peach salsa on another thread. They sound great...providing I can find a store that sells the peach salsa. Any more?

Thanks so much!

Susan

Comments (7)

• alisande
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I didn't realize this forum isn't very busy. I'll add my own reply so my message doesn't hang around long past its usefulness.

S.

• colleenoz
    20 years ago

You might try asking your question over at the Cooking Forum- the people there have a lot of good ideas and are only too happy and willing to help!

• susie_que
    20 years ago

Hope you got your range hooked up!!

Last week I made bacon straws by simply wrapping a store bought breadstick (stella doro) with a slice of bacon and baking.
    When they came out of the oven, they were limp but they hardened back up in no time. I also sprinkled them with parmesan cheese while they were still warm.

Also last week I made pumpkin dip...its really good!!!
    1 can of pumpking puree, 1 tub of cool whip and one box of instant vanilla pudding mix (do not prepare the pudding).
    Just dump evenything into a mixing bowl and mix until well blended and chill.
    Serve with grahm crackers, spiced wafers, nilla wafers or even fruit or pretzels.

have fun!!
    Susie

• yellowhair
    20 years ago

Hi,
    Here's a super easy sweet appetizer/dessert that I've tried:

1 box chopped dates
    1 can condensed milk
    Cream cheese frosting
    Ritz crackers

In cooker, heat the dates and condensed milk. Mixture will be like a paste. Using a knife (or however is easy) just dollop some of this mixture on top of the Ritz cracker. Let cool. Then add a dollop of the cream cheese mixture.

Very delishhhhh!

I did notice, thought, when I had them in the refrigerator the day after the party----that the crackers got a little soggy----could probably reheat a little. That is, if you have any left!! Or, just keep the date mixture separate until the day of the party.

• Jamie_MS
    20 years ago

This is great and no cooking is involved - just alot of chopping! (you can buy the already cooked shrimp at the grocery when you make this!)

SHRIMP SALSA

4 lbs. cooked, peeled shrimp
    8 Roma tomatoes, chopped
    1 cup diced red onion
    1 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
    1 1/4 cup serrano chili peppers, seeded & minced
    4 TBS fresh parsley
    juice of 4 limes
    1 cup extra virgin olive oil
    kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Cut each shrimp into 3 or 4 pieces and place in large bowl. Add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, serrano peppers and parsley. Mix to combine. Add the lime juice and oil and toss to mix thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill until serving time and serve with tortilla chips.

• chase_gw
    20 years ago

Susan , sorry you didn't get much help from us! As Collen mentioned, try posting over on the Cooking Forum or Recipe Exchange next time....much more active forums.

• alisande
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks, everyone. This party has come and gone, but I'll save your ideas for next time. Jamie, I'll also pass your recipe on to my son, who loves to cook shrimp all the time. He also likes salsa, so I think he'll really go for this one.

Susan

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm