Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_mich

Is this tacky?

lisa_mich
18 years ago

I'm hosting our annual Holiday Open House again this Wednesday, the night before Thanksgiving. We do this every year and have as many as 40 people here at any one time. I usually have an array of appetizers and desserts. This year, though, I'm extremely busy at work and doubt I'll be home much before the time our party is suppose to start!

Most people come for an hour or two, have a drink, some munchies, mingle with friends then head back home to finish preparing for the Big Day. I always get a big Thank You from all the cooks, who welcome the break, even if it's only for an hour...they say it gives them their second wind, since they know they'll be up for several more hours finishing up the prep.

For the rest of us (hee hee), it's just a fun night together with friends, none of which have to work the next day...woo hoo!

My intentions are to make everything ahead of time and serve a "build your own" appetizer bar, because I will not have time to prepare them before the party. I'll have crostinis, won ton cups, crackers, endive leaves and sliced cucumbers for the 'bases'. There will be 5 or 6 different 'toppers' that will work well on any of the 'bases' along with a baked brie and fruit tray and crudites with 2 dips.

I plan to make a couple of each different 'type' of appetizer to serve as a demo so people know what to do. I'm even going to go as far as putting little signs by each so they know what each spread/topping is.

I figure with so many people doing so many different 'diets' that this way, there would be something for everyone. Of course, the bonus is that my guests will be doing all the 'work'! LOL

My question (finally!), is: Would you find it tacky having to 'make' your own appetizer, or would you welcome the chance to have that yummy artichoke spread on something without carbs?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Lisa

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz