Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeman123

Should I remove my shoes before going into someone's house?

Mikeman123
12 years ago

I am starting a window washing company. I would like to know everyone's thoughts on if I should automatically take my shoes off before going into houses to clean windows, without people asking me to and without asking if I should. Would it be proper to walk in and remove my shoes without saying anything. I am trying to find out what most people prefer and what most people find being polite. I live in Phoenix, AZ so snow and rain are not really an issue. Thank you for your thoughts and time.

Mike

Comments (10)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

I would be a bit embarrassed if a workman removed his shoes and was running around my house sockfooted.

Might some shoe covers be a good idea to have handy? I would think that it might be unsafe to be working without shoes inside, since you might have to move furniture and stuff.

I'd tell you to "Come on in", but chances are anyone who is hiring their windows washed, might have a cleaner, or fancier house than I have.

I think I would just go with the shoe/boot covers. You couldn't go wrong that way, and would appear both polite and professional.

Good luck with your new business.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Shoe covers

• Fori
    12 years ago

I recently had delivery guys ask if their shoes were okay. Shoe covers are probably the best solution. (If they don't get really dirty you can reuse them without telling anyone.)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Unless it's raining or snowy and my drive and walk are not shoveled, no delivery, repair or worker ever removes their shoes....nor do I ask them to.
    But shoe coverings would be nice if you are unsure.
    Linda C

• Sharon kilber
    12 years ago

We live in Phoenix, also. My husband, is a GC, and some people will let you know if they do not want you walking in with your shoes. My husband, also will ask them. He, has the booties, for the worker's. Lot's will ask like a guy from Dell, came to fix my laptop the other day he, ask me, if he should take his shoes off. So did the direct TV guy. Many I, found will ask. Good luck with your new Co.

• camlan
    12 years ago

I'd check with your insurance company. They may have requirements for what protective gear you need to wear, and that could include proper footwear.

I'd rather someone working in my home wore shoes. Shoes covers would be nice, if you can find some that aren't slippery on carpet and tile.

• amyfiddler
    11 years ago

Shoe covers. Cant go wrong.

• ilmbg
    11 years ago

Please, please do not go into someone's home with shoes on!
    I am one of the people who have severe allergies/asthma. When you come inside from the outside, you are tracking in pollen's, dirt that has mold spores in it, microscopic amounts(or larger amounts) of fecal material from dogs/birds and a host of triggers for someone who has respiratory/immune problems. It is a common problem. Shoecovers help ALOT!
    Also, you track in oil from walking in the parking lot that is tracked onto the carpet, squished bug parts that you stepped on, dog sh*&, herbicides/pesticides from walking on the grass....it is just dirty.
    Some people don't think a thing about having all that tracked in- but many do.
    Shoecovers!

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

That's what doormats are for- wiping feet well.

• nancylouise5me
    11 years ago

I would not take off your shoes. They are part of your uniform and are a safety factor for you. Your insurance may require you to wear shoes. Just bring shoe/boot covers along with you. Wipe your feet before you enter and then put on your boot covers. NancyLouise

• azzalea
    11 years ago

Of course, this shoe situation is very regional. In some areas, it's rude to walk into someone's house IN shoes, in others (where I live) it's incredibly rude to walk in and kick off your shoes. But you're not a guest, you're a worker.

Shoes are a safety item--they protect your feet. When you go to a house, you have no idea if they have: been sewing and dropped pins that got lost in the rug (or broken a glass and there are slivers); have contagious foot conditions you might pick up; have pets with health issues you might take home to YOUR pets; have recently cleaned their carpets with a substance you might be allergic to, etc etc etc.

My husband works in a field where he has to go into customers homes. He's required to wear shoes on the job. Most don't ask him to remove them--but on the rare occasion they did, he told them no, and they had a choice, he could stay and do the work or leave. Shoes generally ceased to be an issue at that point.

Last week, we 'babysat' dd's condo while an electrician came in to do some work. He got to the door and took the time to put the covers on his shoes, stating his last job had been muddy. It was very considerate (she has white carpet), and I appreciated it. That's the most realistic solution--to keep some of those in your car/truck. The ones I've seen, I think might even survive a washing or two, if it were done carefully--if you're looking to be frugal.

Sponsored