Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmie2

Prime Rib for a Crowd ?

carmie2
16 years ago

What is the best and "easiest" way to serve prime rib roast, for a crowd of about 40 people?

It will be a buffet/sit down dinner and DH does not want to be carving all night..

Any advice is appreciated!...TIA

Comments (14)

• lindac
    16 years ago

You can buy prepackaged cooked slices that only need to be warmed very gently....very expensive but certainly easy.
    But I would get a rolled rib roast....that is a roast off the bone....likely you will need 2 such roasts, and just carve off half inch slices. That way you will be able to accomodate the "well done" people with the "bleeding rare".
    I would stand him at the end of the buffet and start him to slicing.
    Or you could slice all in the kitchen and present it on a platter.
    Linda C

• iowajewel
    16 years ago

I make prime rib all the time for my family dinners.......and that can be for anywhere from 10 to 20!!!!!
    I just use a meat thermometer in the meat and then put it all in a very large "bag" and then in a roasting pan in the oven. I use the "bags" that you cook turkeys in. It keeps the meat so juicy!!!
    I would do this and then slice it......and then put it back into a bag to stay warm. Might even slice it a bit rarer than you want so that if it "cooks" a bit more, it won't be tooo done! This way you could slice it before the guests come and clean up the mess.
    I KNOW you will love serving Prime Rib! My family wouldn't let me have anything else!

Happy Entertaining!!
    Julie

• carmie2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Julie- I can handle that!..I love the slicing, before guest arrive!

Thanks to all!

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

For a savory condiment for your Prime Rib (in addition to any au jus).mix some good horseradish w/sour cream. It is delightful and compliments the rib!

• jaybird
    16 years ago

I'm dumb, and have never fixed prime rib.....I see the cooking directions, but tell me what else I need to know???? This looks like a great idea for Christmas dinner...none of us are turkey fans, and we will be hammed out after Thanksgiving!
    Sincere thanks for any assistance!

• iowajewel
    16 years ago

DON'T be intimidated by Prime Rib......it's just a big roast in my mind and is special when entertaining!!!!
    Just think of it as a big roast with a meat thermometer in it!!!!

I also make my grandmother's recipe for ham loafs too. Easy and tastes like it was hard to make!
    If anyone wants it, I will post it.
    My father will not eat poultry and it gives everyone else another choice of meat at our family holiday dinners!!!!!
    Julie

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Julie, please do post the ham loaf recipe....I always have ham around!! I still need you to tell me HOW to roast the prime rib??? What temps?? How long??? any spices added?? any moisture ????
    Thanks again for your time!
    J

• route1
    16 years ago

I would cook a couple of roasts instead of one big one. They will cook faster and you could have two people carving them. Also, with that many guests, everyone will want something different (end, middle, med, rare).

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

For easy cutting ask you butcher to carve it off the bone and to tie it back on

• craftfetish
    16 years ago

Jaybird - you aren't dumb, but don't fear the prime rib. Pricey, but a snap to cook. If you'll forgive the RONCO-ism, very much a set it and forget it kind of thing.

(And the idea to carve before the guests arrive is a good one)

• iowajewel
    16 years ago

Jaybird........here is my grandmother's hamloaf recipe! I am happy to share it. It is a favorite of my family and if my grandmother were alive, she would be 109! She was a GREAT cook and I inherited her personal cookbook with even recipes for all the shortages during the war!!!!

Ham Loaf:

2 lbs. ground lean pork
    2 lbs. ground lean ham
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups milk
    2 cups crushed graham crackers
    Mix and shaape into a loaf. Put into a WELL(I found out the hard way)
    greased(or "Pam"ed) loaf pan.

Ham loaf topping:

1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1 can tomato soup
    Mix and pour over loaf. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours.

I usually double this and make two loaves. Just love it leftover too!!

And for the prime rib, I don't use any rubs or anything. I just stick it in a roasting bag(the kind for turkeys) and bake until internal temp is about 145. With the Reynolds bags there is a chart to use.....but you can find tons of recipes for rubs and sauces to serve with it online. The one above with horseradish and sour cream sounds wonderful. My SO just uses horseradish, but I might just doctor it up this year!!!

Whatever you do, don't be intimidated by a standing rib roast or prime rib. THey are just another type of roast!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!!!
    Julie

• trudy_gw
    16 years ago

Bruce makes prime rib at least once during the holidays, if not on Christmas he will make it for New Years Eve.

The grandkids love it! We have always used a boneless roast. Let me know if you have any questions.

--------- PRIME RIB -----------
     Insert thin cut sliced garlic cloves into meat by inserting a thin bladed knife and pushing the garlic into the cut. The cut should be no deeper than 1 inch so the garlic can cook and seep juices into the meat. Liberally season the outside with olive oil, kosher salt and ground black pepper.
    Â
    Â
    Â
    1. Bring roast to room temperature for 2-3 hours
    Â
    2. Heat oven to 375
    Â
    3. Place roast bone side down in open pan
    Â Â Â Â cook 1 hour
    4. Turn oven for for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours
    Â Â Â Â DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR
    Â
    5. Heat oven back to 375
    Â
    Â Â Â Â Â BAKEÂ Â 25 minutes for rare
    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 30 minutes for medium
    Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 35 minutes for well done
    Â
    6. Let roast stand for 10 minutes before slicing
    Â
    Remove first layer and back of ribs, if the roast has bones, Â slice to desired thickness.
    Â
    Serve with Au jus and or horseradish sauce.

Â
    Â

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Thank you so much!!! Maybe I will be successful with this!

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!