Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Table Setting Ideas - Spode Christmas Tree

Posted by tammyct (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 4, 06 at 0:04

I received 6 place settings of Spode Christmas Tree a few years ago and want to use it in on my new dining room table this year. I've been searching for either a red or green tablecloth and when I match up a plate to a cloth color that I see, it never seems to look quite right because the colors are off. Then I thought about just using an ivory tablecloth since white was just TOO white with the china, and maybe some nice red or green napkins or even a table runner in a holiday pattern on the ivory tablecloth. It is a simple pattern and I want to jazz it up a bit. My dining room has more silver accents (chandelier is silver, I have silver and glass candlesticks, formal silver, etc.)
What about chargers? Again, I ran into the red and green dilemma with the colors not synching up too well.

Would silver chargers work with say a white tablecloth and burgundy napkins? I think the red in the plates is a deeper red. I didn't think this was going to be so hard but it is. Thanks for advice!

Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Table Setting Ideas - Spode Christmas Tree

I think the silver chargers would be great. A friend gave me a set of 12 one year. They make sets that are plastic and not so expensive. What's the pattern on the Spode. You could incorporate something down the center of the table to tie in the pattern with whatever tablecloth you choose.

Have fun!

o

I haves everal friends who have Spode Christmas Tree....and there are cloths that are the right red or green. The china is white and a cream cloth doesn't look right with it. I always find an off white cloth with china that has a really white ground looks dirty....and I don't like a white clothw ith china that has a cream ground.
For an absolutely "knock your socks off" table, look for av ery dark green cloth...I have one that is Ralph Lauren, bought at T J Maxx a few years back, and use gold chargers. Stem ware with a gold rim and white napkins will be lovely.
I would concentrate on crystal, gold, and silver for a centerpiece. Perhaps an arrangement of crystal candle holders with white candles and greens touched with gold and silver glitter...time to get creative.
Linda C

o

I like the silver charger idea, thanks! I agree about the white and cream. I tested it out today at a Homegoods store and the dinnerware actually looks better on white than cream. I think by adding other accessories to the table it will enhance and bring out the colors in the china. It seems that I have more options how that I start thinking about it.

o

That is very pretty china! Have you thought of looking at a fabric store? They have beautiful Christmas fabrics and all you have to do is press and sew the edge. I love the some of the Christmas plaids, those with metallic threads can be very elegant. There are many choices of fabrics and that might make it easier to find something that coordinates with your china.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

o

I always get confused on how to set the table and my mother-in-law is a stickler for this sort of thing so I found a really helpful guide other's might like as well:

www.life123.com/article_TopicHome/Proper-Table-Setting-101_1205353887822.html

o

I put mine on a dark plaid cloth.(think watch plaid, navy/dark green/narrow stripes of yellow and red)
I have been known to use gold chargers and gold plated flatware, but my favorite is silver. For my centerpiece, I use a beveled mirror square with silver candlesticks and white unscented candles. At the base of the candleholders I use greenery and metallic gold, red and green curly ribbon wound throughout. HTH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here