Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cag24

fall party help

cag24
17 years ago

I'm having a fall party for about 30 people and need something to get people involved. Several don't like games so I need something else...was thinking of some interesting name tags so people don't group up with just the ones they know best. Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• labmomma
    17 years ago

I have been to parties where the host puts a name tag on your back of a famous person and the first person to guess who they are wins a little chachkey. I don't really think that is what you are going for tho. What do you want people to get involved in? Is a cocktail party? Maybe if your guests are the "game" type you should just let them mingle. Did you invite a variety of people who do not know one another?

• cag24
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion .... I have done this, too. It is a cocktail party and some people don't know each other. Just thought I'd try some conversation starters.

• gellchom
    17 years ago

We like to give dinner parties for people who do NOT already know each other, and this has worked great for us, even for people who don't like games, because the point isn't really the game. I haven't tried it with such a big group, but maybe you could modify it somehow. It's a traditional get-to-know-you-game for youth, but it leads to SUCH interesting conversation with grownups! It's called "Two truths and a lie." Each person has to tell three interesting things about themselves, one of which is NOT true. The others then try to guess the lie. Don't keep score, and do let the conversation wander.

My mom (who started the idea of these dinners for people who don't know each other) just has everyone tell something interesting to the group -- it doesn't have to be about themselves; it can be something cool they read, or whatever.

The problem with either of these for you is that they are hard to do with such a large group. It's hard to think of anything that would not seem too much like an organized game. We did that famous-person's-name-on-the-back thing at one of my birthday parties when I was a little kid -- I am not sure adults would like it as much; it really depends on the crowd. If they are drinking alcohol, that will help! :-) I think that for 30 people, though, I would skip any type of organized activity and just move through the room introducing people and getting them started talking to each other (and keeping the wine flowing and the music playing). It's not like they HAVE to get to know everyone; it's a party, not a corporate retreat or something. Don't worry too much. Make sure you have invited several outgoing, sparkly people. They will help make the party take off, and you may even notice a few of them going out of their way to introduce themselves and engage the wallflowers in conversation. Those are guests to TREASURE!

• gellchom
    17 years ago

We like to give dinner parties for people who do NOT already know each other, and this has worked great for us, even for people who don't like games, because the point isn't really the game. I haven't tried it with such a big group, but maybe you could modify it somehow. It's a traditional get-to-know-you-game for youth, but it leads to SUCH interesting conversation with grownups! It's called "Two truths and a lie." Each person has to tell three interesting things about themselves, one of which is NOT true. The others then try to guess the lie. Don't keep score, and do let the conversation wander.

My mom (who started the idea of these dinners for people who don't know each other) just has everyone tell something interesting to the group -- it doesn't have to be about themselves; it can be something cool they read, or whatever.

The problem with either of these for you is that they are hard to do with such a large group. It's hard to think of anything that would not seem too much like an organized game. We did that famous-person's-name-on-the-back thing at one of my birthday parties when I was a little kid -- I am not sure adults would like it as much; it really depends on the crowd. If they are drinking alcohol, that will help! :-) I think that for 30 people, though, I would skip any type of organized activity and just move through the room introducing people and getting them started talking to each other (and keeping the wine flowing and the music playing). It's not like they HAVE to get to know everyone; it's a party, not a corporate retreat or something. Don't worry too much. Make sure you have invited several outgoing, sparkly people. They will help make the party take off, and you may even notice a few of them going out of their way to introduce themselves and engage the wallflowers in conversation. Those are guests to TREASURE!

• gellchom
    17 years ago

Sorry! I don't know why that posted twice.

• ilovepink
    17 years ago

I went to a party where ppl had a question on their glass and would have to ask others. It was a good icebreaker.

So for instance: What was the name of your favorite childhood pet?

Did you go to prom? What did your dress look like?

Ever break a bone?

On and on. it was fun.

• labmomma
    17 years ago

Another route to go is ask a couple of good friends who will be attending to take a cue if the conversation is not flowing or the room is starting to separate, like, by the way, did you know that so and so here practices this type of law, or volunteers with this or that, loves animals, you know, appropriate for the specific two people you are trying to get talking. Surely you have a couple of close girlfriends who will be attending that can help you spot a bored guest and can take he/she by the arm and introduce to another guest who may have something in common. I agree that the game thing is really not for a cocktail party.

Sponsored