Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolowner

retirement party, who hosts?

poolowner
16 years ago

question on retirement party. Stupid question but I will ask anyway. Who should "throw" a party for someone who retired. Husband/wife of retiree or children of retiree?

Comments (8)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Anyone who wants to....but most often it's the employer on the last day of work....but often there is a bigger bash thrown by the retiree...and/or the spouse.
    Linda C

• cheerful1_gw
    16 years ago

poolowner: it's a good question. My husband is eligible for retirement next year, and I want to throw him a party. My question is, who do I invite so it doesn't get out of hand?

• sudiepav
    16 years ago

What a great question! I've been pondering this for a couple of years. I'm a teacher, retiring in June '09. Typically, at our school, good friends of the retiree plan a party, send out flyers and those who choose to come pay $25 a head for dinner. The entertainment is either testimonials or comedy skits. I LOATHE this and certainly want nothing of it when I retire. I am thinking of having the staff and a few other friends in education come to my house after school one day for an open house/happy hour kind of thing. I've been there too long to just sneak away without notice (my first choice), so I think I'll set it up myself and thus do what I want. I think those retiring in business have a myriad of possibilities. Someone "important" to the firm may get a big bash. In a small company, often the retiree is just taken out for dinner by close associates. I think it's all over the map. This sounds like a good topic for discussion.

• poolowner
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I always thought it was something that your spouse would do since he/she would know all the people to invite, especially if it were a suprise to the retiree. It could be a joint venture with other family members of the retiree, but mainly the spouse would start the party planning. As for the office/work party, that would be a smaller version, usually during the day or right after work and would only include work associates, not family & friends of the retiree.
    Any comments?

• kushy28
    11 years ago

No comments, as normally I haven't seen or done any retirement party for family members.I thought it would be for the people who go for work for their good service.

• Debbie Laird
    10 years ago

Our CEO is retiring at the end of this year, after 40 years of service. Our BOD is hosting a party for all employees and retirees. I don't think it matters who hosts the party, as long as the guest of honor is involved in the planning.

• dfurlong
    2 years ago

My Aunt is retiring after 40+ years as a highly-respected lawyer. She has her own firm with one partner, & a few associates & staff. She knows everyone is the legal community. Given that she is not married & does not have kids, I’m her closest next-of-kin as her niece. Her career has been her entire life so I know this warrants a major celebration/send-off. My question is, who should be hosting such an elaborate affair? I cannot manage planning a big event by myself nor can I afford paying for food & drink for a huge group. When I asked her partner at her firm about possible plans she said she’d been too busy to plan anything & asked if I wanted to take the lead. I’m very overwhelmed. it sort of feels like this should be on her firm & lawyer colleagues/friends, & maybe I plan a smaller family affair? Suggestions?

• lindac92
    2 years ago

The firm should pay for the party.....and certainly you are capable of sending invitations to her associates and clients and hiring a caterer.

Sponsored