Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GIft from friend- want to share with friend.

Posted by newgardenelf (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 07 at 22:08

I recently recieved for my birthday a gift certificate to a restaurant from a friend who I do not wish to begin gift giving for lots of reasons. I think she is great, I like her but honestly my birthday budget for the year is busting at the seams from parties our four kids attend.

I asked her to come to lunch with me to share in the gift certificate and she said she wanted to go to lunch but not use the gc- she wants me to use it with DH. Well my lunch budget is also bust this time of year with Christmas coming...

Should I just thank her for the gc and drop it or should I take her to lunch as a thank you, or insist on using the gc with my friend?

Also can I stick to a card for her birthday or do I need to make a greater gesture since she gave the gc???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GIft from friend- want to share with friend.

Allow her to give you a gift. There is no reason you need to give her one...just remember to write a gracious thank you note.
Linda C

o

In lieu of a gift, how about some special baked goods, fresh from your own oven? Pumpkin bread, ginger cookies, scones, or anything a little different is always a real treat.

o

I agree with LindaC. As for lunch either go some place cheap or maybe have her over to your house for lunch if your budget won't allow going out. The idea of lunch with a friend is to get together and chat and spend time together. Whether that's in a restaurant or your house shouldn't matter.

I have friends who are on tight budgets, and when they say no going out this month or something like that, we simply make alternate low-cost or no-cost plans. No shame in it, everyone has their own budget and (most)everyone has been on a tight budget so people understand.

I have a group of friends who got into the gift-giving mode. Five of us - and we ended up being obligated to recognize each of our birthdays. Well, I didn't want to do it anymore, not so much for the cost (although that did come into play) but because I had to agonize over what to get them every year. So I recently brought it up, could we quit giving each other gifts? We already do a sort of greed game gift exchange in Dec so we decided to let that suffice. I think everyone was relieved.

You know, some people just love to give gifts. It's not that I don't like giving so much, it's more that I agonize over what to give and probably don't get it right more often than not. By the same token, I end up with gifts from others which I really don't want or need -- it's not that I'm not grateful, but I can see them in that same situation, wondering what to get me, and ending up with something I'm not that wild about.

For me, friendship is way more about spending time together, doing whatever, than it is about exchanging gifts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here