Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pink_overalls

Home sales party invitation RSVP

pink_overalls
12 years ago

I received an invitation from a neighbor who is hosting one of those parties where they sell packaged mixes, cooking oils, flavored vinegars, oils, sauces, and a bunch of other overpriced, inferior stuff.

I don't cook this way, and I don't want to give any of the products as gifts.

How do I politely decline the invitation? It's on a Sunday afternoon, a time that's usually unspoken for, and I can't say I'm leaving town. It's a neighbor!

I don't want to just ignore the invitation. Is there a nice way to tell the truth, or should I fabricate a story?

Comments (6)

• gellchom
    12 years ago

I like the Miss Manners method: "Thank you for inviting me. Unfortunately, I have other plans. I'm sure it will be a great party."

Do not explain that your other plans are to spend the afternoon at home resting or out running errands.

If you feel guilty, offer to loan her your coffee pot or something. :-)

• suzieque
    12 years ago

I believe in the truth. I'd just thank her for the invitation but say that you won't be able to make it. In my opinion, you don't have to say that you have other plans. If she saw you around your house she'd know you lied.

Of course you don't have to tell her that you don't use those products. If you did, she'd probably say that you don't have to buy anything, just come for the social aspect. So - my advice is to say thank you and that you won't be able to be there.

• gabbythecat
    12 years ago

I don't think it's lying to say that you have other plans. Perhaps your other plans include a Sunday afternoon nap or a quiet afternoon with your dh. As long as you aren't out in your yard, she won't be able to see what you are doing. Telling her that you have plans isn't hinting that you are planning something *big* - it can mean darned near anything.

You don't owe this neighbor - or anyone else - an explanation for why you do not accept an invitation. You have other plans, or you won't be able to make it - however you phrase it. Thank her briefly, and then move on to other conversational topics.

• pink_overalls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the excellent advice. I'll be at a meeting with her tomorrow, so I'll try out these suggestions.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Just pucker up your mouth and say..."Aww....I'm so sorry I won't be able to come!! I know you'll have a great time!"
    Or variations on that theme....like "this saturday? Oh! Sorry I can't".....or "I wish I could but not this time"...Or I'll try to make it....but no promises....thanks for asking!"

• blizlady
    12 years ago

I think I know what type of party you are talking about, and I actually like the products....lol. But they do serve quite a few samples of the products, so it is also a food fest! I agree they are over-priced for the convenience, but there are a few things I like to have on hand for impromptu visits.

I have given and have been invited to numerous types of home parties. I normally go to some of these, not so much because I plan to spend a lot of money at them, but I go to support the hostess and just like visiting with friends. I don't think you are required to spend a fortune, but I know there are people who declined invitations to my home parties for various reasons. Some were flat out honest saying that they had "no use" for the product, or just couldn't come. I always mentioned that if they just wanted to get away for a ladies night out, have a few margaritas and snacks with the gang, they don't have to feel obligated to buy anything.

Sponsored