Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciagaye

Dessert reception

marciagaye
19 years ago

We are having a "Dessert Open House" for my daughter and her new husband. I need some suggestions as to what can be made and frozen ahead of time, how much, etc. Also how long can these items be frozen safely? We are inviting around 150-200 people, but figure 100 may show. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

• User
    19 years ago

My sister does her Christmas cookie baking starting in November and stores them in my extra freezer. Most cookies freeze well. I make mini walnut tarts that freeze and are a real crowd pleaser. You could also consider making a Vacherin which is very impressive and freezable. Pies and unfrosted sheet cakes freeze well, also.

Try Googling on 'frozen desserts' or 'make ahead desserts' and see what comes up.

A platter of fresh fruit and cheese is good for people on diets. Or cut up fresh fruit with a dip of 1/2 marshmallow Fluff and 1/2 cream cheese mixed together.

Sounds like fun!

• michie1
    19 years ago

Boy I'd love to know more about this too. Annually I have an adults only dessert party but the day before I'm non-stop baking & boy is that stressful.

I imagine custardy desserts aren't freezable, are they?

• User
    19 years ago

Mitchie--try making the shells and freezing them. Then all you have to make the day of the party is the custard. It's half the work that way.

• Terri_PacNW
    19 years ago

Cheesecakes made in 9x13 pans.
    Any 9" springform recipe will fit in the 9x13.

Lots of shortbread or simple sugar cookies.

I think the "standard" time frame is about 1-3 months frozen depending on ingriedents.

Sponsored