Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colleency

feeding a crowd - 3-4 times a week

colleency
21 years ago

Some friends and I are putting on a show. I am having a producers/writers/directors meeting once a week, a singing rehearsal once a week, a dancing rehearsal once a week, and sewing of costumes once a week. These all take place at my home, usually running through the dinner hour. We can't afford to send out for food, and I feel bad about eating my food in front of other people, so I usually end up cooking for the crowd.

I've decided to put out a contribution jar for meals, but does anybody have any suggestions for cheap quick food, other than spaghetti or chili? (We're getting tired of those.)

Also, would it be inappropriate to point out the contribution jar?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (9)

• prairie_rose
    21 years ago

I think, if you are cooking for these people regularly, a contributions jar would not only be appropriate, but a must. I am surprised no one has offered to pitch in with the cost yet. Or, you culd make it a pot luck, everyone bring something for the table, everytime, or every other time they come. Make up a schedule if that will help organize things for you. If not, then eat in front of them and don't offer or feel guilty. It is good manners that makes you want to include them when you eat, but is also good manners for them to help out. JMO

Rose

• duckie
    21 years ago

By all means point out the contribution jar! Your friends will soon feel embarrassed and guilty if they feel they are freeloading off you.

I would actually opt for either potluck or ask everyone to bring their own bag dinner, which could be heated up in a microwave. That way you won't be spending so much time cooking when you want to be preparing for the show. If you are currently spending one hour a day shopping, preparing, and cleaning up for these dinners, it is taking 3-4 hours a week just for that. Imagine how much better the costumes and choreography would be if you could devote an extra 3-4 hours a week on them!

• MsMagnolia
    21 years ago

They should have already asked if they could contribute...so I think the jar in a very prominent place would be the ideal solution.

Some ideas (to keep it easy and casual)...

1) A stack of paper plates, loaves of white and wheat bread, luncheon meats or prepared tuna, chicken salad, or pimento, mayo, mustard, and chips.

2) Big bowl of salad greens, bottled dressings, croutons, cherry tomatoes, grated cheese, green onions.

3) Plate of taco shells, bowl of cooked ground beef, shredded cheese and lettuce, and salsa.

4) Big plate of crudites (broc, cauli, carrots, green onions) and dip.

5) Rotel dip and chips. (It's filling!)

I think all these are quick, easy, and after all, they aren't there for a full meal, right? Help yo'self, folks!

• colleency
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks for your help. I've started waiting until people show up, and sending one person to the market when everybody's hungry. Then that person brings the receipt and has to ask everybody for money.

Tacos sounds like a good idea, as does rotelle dip.

• aka_raeanne
    21 years ago

I can only think of a pot of chili, macaroni and cheese and baked ziti, all can be made ahead of time and aren't very costly. Sounds like a lot of fun - even the work!

• aka_raeanne
    21 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see that you were tiring of chili.

• good36
    21 years ago

Enchiladas, burritos, Soup and bread, BBQ sandwiches, pizza's, stromboli, chicken and rice (very easy), Blts (fry ahead and reheat), Creamed chicken on buns, sausage and biscuits. Thats all I can think of right now.

• lindac
    21 years ago

I agree....the best bet is to send someone to the store when hunger hits....and then collect.....until someone elas volunteers to provide.
    Linda C

• Laurenk88
    21 years ago

Sounds like a lot of fun. You should have a contribution jar, or set up a schedule where different people bring dinner/munchies for each meeting...shouldn't be all on you!!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County