Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How would you handle this gift dilemma?

Posted by cookingrvc (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 28, 02 at 19:05

Had a surprise party for my Dad the other night at a lovely restaurant; about 35 friends and family attended.

After dad had gone home and opened his gifts, he noted that there was none from one of his nephews.

He is concerned that his nephew gave him a gift, but somehow it was misplaced. Since he received lots of gift certificates to restaurants, stores, etc, he is afraid that it can be used by anyone finding it.

BUT, he doesn't want to assume that his nephew gave him a gift, and doesn't want to embarass him by asking. It is not in my cousins nature to NOT give a gift.

What would you do?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How would you handle this gift dilemma?

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO START YOUR OWN TOPIC ON GARDENWEB? I WOULD LIKE TO START MY OWN FORUM AND RUN A DISCUSSION ON IT

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

o

Beethoven,

Enter the forum you want and go to the bottom of the page. Follow the directions from there.

Sue

o

Ooh, Sue, that's a hard one. Could you possibly explain what's happened to the nephew's Mom, stressing that your Dad wasn't *expecting* a gift from your nephew but going by the nephew's past generous behaviour he is worried that the nephew's gift may have gone missing and also would hate not to thank the nephew. She could then maybe bring it up with the nephew in a roundabout way without causing guilt trips if the nephew didn't give a gift for whatever reason and let your Dad know the result.
Otherwise I don't know what you might do short of approaching your cousin yourself and telling him what's happened.
You wouldn't want him to be wondering, "I wonder how Uncle John liked the gift certificate I gave him?" and never getting a thankyou.

o

Or you could say, some of the cards got mixed up. Which gift was from Nephew Joe? I don't want to miss him in my thank you notes.

Then they may say, the fondue pot. You can then say, That's odd, I didn't see a fondue pot. I wonder if it got lost at the restaurant.

And if they say Nephew forgot to bring a gift, then at least you'll know, and you won't seem rude!

o

I would suggest that your dad ask your cousin about the gift. If anyone else asks, and he did not bring a gift, he will worry that his lack of gift is the subject of family gossip. You said it would be unlike him to not bring something. So if he didn't bring something, he is probably already feeling bad. You don't want him to feel worse. If he did bring something, but it has been lost, there is probably not much that can be done, but the sooner it is known, probably the better. Again, dealing with it quickly and quietly is probably the best route.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. Dad took care of it by calling his brother. My cousin had planned to take his car, but at the last minute met up with my uncle and commuted with him. He left the gift in his car and put it in the mail the next day.

Dad was pretty uncomfortable calling, but would have been more so if he had to call his nephew. Gossip isn't an issue with our family so we're cool on that front.

Thanks again.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here