Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertnewbie_gw

Block party...any ideas?

DesertNewbie
20 years ago

I've just relocated to a new state and moved into a brand new neighborhood. I don't know anyone and most of our neighbors keep to themselves. It should be cooling down soon (let's hope, was 107 today) so I thought it would be nice to organize a block party. We live on a cul-de-sac and have a greenbelt at the end. It would serve as a nice gathering place. I don't know how to go about organizing this or asking people if they would like to participate. I think that a potluck type thing would do nicely. Any suggestions as to how I should start putting this together?

Comments (8)

• lindac
    20 years ago

I would start with an invitation....computer printed....saying something like "Let's get to know one another...we'll provide the drinks ( or the meat) and tableware, come at XX o'clock and bring a dish to share and your own drinks or meat ....(which ever you don't provide) Please let us know if you can come so we know how many to plan for.
    Go for it!...It'll be fun!
    Linda C

• Julie_MI_Z5
    20 years ago

Great idea!

To make it simpler, plan it for after dinner on a weekend night and have everyone bring party snacks. The problem with BBQ'ing is you'll spend all your time at the grill rather than circulating among the new neighbors.

Also, suggest that everyone bring lawn chairs--they'll stay longer if they're comfortable!

• zoiepoo
    18 years ago

I have been thinking of doing a block party too. We have lived here for 10 years and don't know many neighbors - I would love to learn something interesting about each neighbor but wondered what would be the best way to do this. I toyed with the idea of doing a progressive block party (refreshment at first house, chips at next house, soup in disposable cups at third house, BBQ in the middle of the street for hamburgers and hot dogs, potatoe salad at next house, olives and pickles at next, desert at my house, etc. i don't know if the neighbors would be interested but this way we could visit their home, see pictures of their family, actualy place the family with their children WITH their home. We might learn a little more about them by seeing their pets, a hobbie, etc. Just like our neighbors - we are so busy, I haven't got to the planning stage yet. I was going to hire a good friend to do the BBQ part and check with the police department to see if we are legally allowed to block off our block from traffic for an eveing any more. I am at a loss what else to use the middle of the street for though. I can't imagine dancing and music unless the neighbors would be interested and can't afford to rent one of those blown up jumping houses for the kids, but have a friend/neighbor that might be willing to let kids take turns on riding his horse. We could rig up a dunking tank but who would be dunk? Anyway, I would love to hear more ideas.

• devorah
    18 years ago

I have lived in my present location for just over 3 years. I am having my second neighborhood Christmas party this year. Last year I made all the old family recipes for a Norwegian Christmas, but this year it is going to be more simple - just homemade soup and bread for people who have been busy putting up their lights or shopping on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I sent out invitations by snail mail or e-mail depending on the neighbor. I don't do anything in special for the children. They seem to be very accomplished at amusing each other.

On the 4th of JUly we have a neighborhood party. It is barbeque, but I wish it weren't for the reason mentioned above - too time consuming. Otherwise though, it is great fun. We clear off the street in time for the fireworks.

Last year we had a baby shower and we have a wedding shower coming up. This is the first time that I have lived where the neighbors like to get together and I LOVE IT

• lisa_mich
    18 years ago

We do a progressive "Drink" party twice a year here.

Each house (sometimes a house will team up with the neighbors next door) has a theme and serves a beverage and an appetizer. We plan out the route and then each house picks their theme. We had Mexican at one house and they served a layered bean dip with chips and Margaritas, another house had an Asian theme and served Sushi with Sake and so on.

We were the last house last time so we had the dessert--our theme was Death by Chocolate. We had chocolate martinis and chocolate fondue. YUM!

This could easily be modified for non-drinkers--appetizers and punches or non-alcoholic versions of the themed drink. The dessert house could have flavored coffees.

It's a fun way to socialize with people you don't know all that well and get to know them better, without any one person having to go through all the trouble of making an entree for 6 or 8 or more. That can be a lot of work. We were plenty full at the end of the night.

It's become the talk of the neighborhood--now there are several differnent groups of neighbors who have started having their own.

Have fun!

Lisa

• vas312_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

This was very helpful. I also found ideas at a website called partyblocker.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: PartyBlocker.com

• annienebraska
    14 years ago

We always have a theme and get kids to dress up in the theme and have a parade. I also found some ideas I liked at the link below. ...Good if you can't pay for the moon bounce!

Here is a link that might be useful: article on inexpensive block party ideas

• onetwib
    13 years ago

A potluck thing always works :)
    And you can use OneTwib to invite your neighbors at your block party, it's the perfect website to meet new neighbors :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Block Party

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022