Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Office Halloween Party for the children

Posted by kezia (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 9, 08 at 16:51

I am hosting a trick or treat costume party at work in a cube environment. This is the first time. We have about 100 software engineers.

Looking for ideas how to coordinate with treats etc. Does anyone have experience in an office environment.

Party ideas are welcom.

Thanks a bunch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Office Halloween Party for the children

I'm not sure - except have some way to let your co-workers "opt out" if they want to. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and we celebrate to the nines...but at home, not at work. I personally wouldn't want to have kids stopping by my office on halloween - too distracting for getting stuff done. That's what halloween night is for - the trick-or-treating fun. :-)

o
RE: Office Halloween Party for the children

I'm usually just a lurker here but I thought I'd let you know that I have some experience with this. Last year was my first Halloween at this job and we do office trick-or-treating here. It's on a volunteer sign-up basis.
You can opt-out, donate just candy, donate candy and be a trick-or-treat stop, and you can bring your kids into the office from 3-5pm. Basically our department shuts down between 3 and 5pm. Some people go all out and decorate their cubes and even dress up. The only rule is nothing too scary since there are a lot of very little kids.

I signed up to donate candy and be a 'stop'. My kids are older so they won't be coming in. Our department secretary coordinated the volunteers and she had balloons placed in the trick-or-treating cubes so that the kids could see where they could stop for treats. They just had to look up and if there were balloons, they new exactly what to do!

I brought in 2 jumbo mixed bags of candy and I stopped at the dollar store and picked up some trinkets - plastic rings, Halloween pencils, stuff like that. I decorated my cube but didn't dress up. The biggest hit was the plastic rings that I grabbed on a whim! Who would have guessed??

It was the best time! So many people were new here last year and didn't participate, and wished they did. I heard that there is close to 70% employee participation this year and we're talking about close to 100 employees - similar to your group!

Someone set up a conference room with decorations and crayons and the kids could go there and hang out to sort their candy. Plus the adults took a break from work. I think we also had drinks and paper goods from the cafe in there, but i don't remember exactly.

It really was a great time and I can't wait to do it again this year. Our office is doing it this Friday and we are all starting to put up our decorations tomorrow.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here