Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovepink_gw

Menu help please for a shower.

ilovepink
13 years ago

I am hosting a luncheon. So I am going to have a full sit down. I have space and seating for 14 women.

It is next weekend. I want to keep it fallish but not make it into this big meal of pumpkin, squash, etc.,.

I was thinking of doing either chicken or pork?

Then two salads.

A roasted veggie perhaps. Then rolls or muffins. I can't decide.

Dessert I was ordering cake but I am still going to do some tarts and little pecan tassies.

Beverage: water, a punch, tea, coffee and white wine.

I want something really nice. Upscale but not over the top. I don't want to do chicken salad on a croissant b/c anyone can make that. I want to make it something that people wouldn't make for themselves at home for lunch.

Comment (1)

• gellchom
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is a nice autumn chicken dish from Hip Kosher, by Ronnie Fein.

Chicken in the Pot with Pears, Dried Figs, and Cider

1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut into 8 parts; pat dry
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 large shallot, chopped
    2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
    6 chopped dried figs
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2/3 cups apple cider or home-style apple juice
    2 pears, peeled, cored,and cut into large chunks

Rinse and dry the chicken parts. Heat the vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium heat and cook the chicken, turning the pieces occasionally, for about 8 minutes, or until the skin is lightly browned. Transfer the chicken to a dish. Discard all but a film of fat from the pan. Add the shallot, ginger, figs,and raisins and cook for 1-2 minutes. Return the chicken and accumulated juices to the pan. Sprinkle it all with curry powder and cayenne. Pour in the cider. Turn the chicken pieces to coat them with the pan juices. Cover the pan,turn the heat to low-medium, and cook for 20 minutes. Add the pears and cook about 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

Serve with rice, couscous, or noodles.

I am crazy about this salad. It would be nice in a fall menu. Keeps pretty well, so you can make it ahead, unlike most green salads.

Kale salad

For 4 servings

2 T olive oil
    1 t lemon juice
    2 t maple syrup
    1 t Dijon mustard
    1/2 t kosher salt
    Very scant 1/2 t red pepper flakes
    1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
    6-8 ounces kale (your favorite variety)
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    1/4 cup toasted pine nuts

Whisk together oil, lemon, syrup, mustard, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper in a non-reactive bowl. You can do this a day ahead and refrigerate; bring to room temperature before adding to salad.

Remove and discard the tough stems and center veins from the kale leaves (don't need to worry too much as you will be chopping it anyway). Cut the leaves crosswise into 1/2 inch wide strips.

Put the dressing in your salad bowl and whisk well. Add the kale and toss to coat. You can either add the nuts and raisins now and toss (I do) or put the salad on individual chilled plates and sprinkle the nuts and raisins on top.

And there is always this old favorite rice salad. Everyone always seems to like it, and the recipe serves a crowd (enough for your 14), and you can make it ahead. It's pretty, too.

Rice Salad

2 boxes Uncle Ben's wild & long grain rice
    1/2 c currants
    1 can (minus a few you eat) honey roasted peanuts
    2 peppers, one red & one yellow, diced
    1 1/2 package frozen small peas (I just use regular size sometimes)
    1 bunch scallions, chopped

Cook the rice according to the directions for 2 boxes. I only use half of one of the seasoning packets. Okay to just use the peas frozen if you aren't serving it soon, otherwise thaw or cook a little and cool.

When rice is fairly cool, mix with the rest of the stuff.

Dressing (the recipe called for double the following amounts, but I thought it was way too much dressing -- I don't even use all of this half recipe)

1/4 c. honey
    1/4 rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
    1/4 oil (I used olive)
    1 t. curry powder

Mix, toss with salad, and refrigerate.

Have fun!