Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gobaby_gw

HELP!!! Throwing a party and I don't know what to do..

gobaby
21 years ago

Hi! I have never been one to entertain. I usually screw everything up (did you ever read the book "Bridget Jones diary?). Anyhoo, I have been kicking around the idea of having a girl's get together.

Since moving to our town I have met a great group of girls and would like to celebrate our friendships by having all of us get together for our favorite food: Chocolate! I was thinking a dessert only party would be a little easier on me. I am planning on other desserts besides chocolate in case someone has been knocked in the head and lost their mind. So, any suggestions?

I think I will have to plan to have it some place other than my house. My husband will have to watch our two toddlers at the house and it will be their bedtime. I have no idea where I will be able to hold this party because all of my friends are in the same situation. I'm sure I will be able to find someplace.

I am thinking of having everyone bring one or two friends to the party so it will add some interest.

Please give me any tips you can think of: decorations, food, ANYTHING! Thanks for your help!!

Comments (4)

• Lor_CA
    21 years ago

My sister-in-law has a similar party several times a year and her husband and two little sons just go to a relative's house and spend the night.

Why not make it easy for yourself by having each person bring their favorite chocolate dessert? Or if they can't or don't want to, then have them bring refreshments. Red wine and chocolate go wonderful together. I attended her last party and her neighbor brought over pumpkin cheesecake with chocolate swirls and chocolate sauce - yummy. You could also lay out bowls of chocolate covered coffee beans. If it's during the holiday season - lot's of chocolate kisses in red and green foil scattered on the table look festive.

• chase_gw
    21 years ago

Hi! we use to do this a few years back when we all had small kids and needed to get away..not just from the kids , sometimes from the dads too!!! LOL

Find yourself a different location, a B&B that will let you cook or a rented condo at a nearby getaway, maybe someone in the group has a cottage/chalet/trailer!!!!

Instead of bringing the desserts have people bring a few recipes and all the fixings (maybe divide then in groups of 2 or 4) then make your desserts together!

Have fun and enjoy!

• gobaby
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I can't ditch my husband and kids because we have no relatives in town. I guess that why the girls have become so special to me. I like both of your suggestions. I think I will have a chocolate or a sweet potluck. I want to keep the decorations simple and elegant so I am thinking of having lots of candles and using crystal and china. Other than that I am stumped. I guess once I start telling the girls about my plans they might come up with ideas on where to hold it or games that we should play. Thanks again.

• duckie
    21 years ago

Why can't your husband watch the kids? Arrange your party to be on a day (or weekend) he has off.

I would suggest you have some drinks which contrast with the sweets. I especially like a somewhat sour lemonaid or strong black coffee with chocolate. The contrast in flavors really brings out the best in both.

For games you could do Pictionary or Taboo. Or, depending upon the personalities of the party, Blind Date (a silly girls game about BOYS!!!!).

I have a book which could be fun as a conversation. IF by Evelyn McFarlane & James Saywell. It has questions like "If you could decide how many times a year you saw your own parents, how often would it be?...If you could be given a personal tour of any Hollywood celebrity's house, whose would you want to see?...If the world were to tun to one single source of energy tomorrow, what would you want it to be?...If you could live in a past era just so you could wear the clothes in fashion at the time, when would it be?" This could be a lot of fun with a bunch of friends.

Sponsored