Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American Thanksgiving in Switzerland

Posted by Michelle_Switzerland (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 20, 02 at 11:14

Hi - well, i've been living in switzerland for around three years now and haven't celebrated Thanksgiving since before then. I'm thinking about throwing a Thanksgiving party (with turkey, etc - but not a sit down dinner) for all my Swiss friends and colleagues (we're all between the ages of 23 and 28), and wonder how I can make it really fun. I'm looking for silly decorating ideas, yummy recipes, game ideas, anything to make the evening memorable and a blast. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American Thanksgiving in Switzerland

You'll find some great Fall recipes at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall recipes.

o
RE: American Thanksgiving in Switzerland

Hi!
I'm currently in Poland and thinking about the same thing. I lived in Sweden around Thanksgiving two years ago and made Thanksgiving dinner at my house. I had chicken (couldn't find turkey), dressing, rolls, jell-o salad, and fake pecan pie (with oatmeal instead of pecans because I couldn't find the pecans). I didn't really decorate except for some candles but if you can find pumpkins that would be great.
I think non-Americans are most interested in the real traditions of Thanksgiving. I would think back to what you used to do when you were really little (think elementary school) for Thanksgiving. These would be great ideas for your Thanksgiving in Switzerland. For example, my family would always go around the table and say what we were thankful for so I made my friends do the same thing. If you wanted to do some activity, you could have them do a craft like what schoolkids make. (like tracing your hand and then making a turky out of it)
Good luck!
Emma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here