Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bnicebkind

cleaning cloth napkins, including pastel colors

bnicebkind
16 years ago

I found some clearance cloth napkins at a great price that are pastel colors for spring. Are pastel cloth napkins a mistake for entertaining, since you cannot bleach them like you can white cloth napkins? Will lipstick, wine, food, etc. come out of pastel cloth napkins?

Is there something you can do in pre-wash methods that will help the stains come out easier?

I have never actually bought my own cloth napkins before. If we entertained, it was casual, or I rented the linens.

For those of you who have all your own table linens and cloth napkins, and use them often, can you clue me in on this, including what you use most often (100% cotton, or polyester, etc) that are easy to use and clean, without a lot of hassle?

Comments (19)

• gellchom
    16 years ago

It's like cleaning food, wine, etc., off of clothes. You already know how to do that.

I wash and dry most of my table linens in the machines. If you grab them out of the dryer fast, they aren't wrinkled. They don't last forever. Even if they aren't stained, the edges start to curl up. But you are getting them at a nice price, so enjoy them. They do last for years. I send the two damask tablecloths and the matching napkins that my parents got as a wedding gift to the cleaners. Oh, wait, I forgot -- I have started doing the napkins myself (they are easy to iron), but I send the tablecloths out because they are so hard to iron. I pretty much only use them 2 or 3 times a year.

Little spots on tablecloths aren't that big a deal, because you can put stuff on top of them when you set the table!

Synthetics seem to spot more, but they are cheaper anyway. I sure wouldn't buy anything you have to iron, except for really fine linens that you won't be using every week (unless you love to iron!).

NONE of the special red wine products I have tried worked. My friend said that the other day someone spilled red wine on her ottoman, and her sister went up and got a glass of white wine and poured that over it -- and it worked beautifully. I have also heard of using seltzer. My wine expert friend spills a lot of wine, and he says to sprinkle lots of table salt on it right away.

Glycerin gets out lipstick. Pretreating products (like Shout) are good for food. My mother-in-law likes that Tide-to-go stick.

• donna1442
    16 years ago

I only use cloth napkins. I have a basket of all colors, sizes and fabrics. If I can find them out at yard sales or thrift stores I pick them up. As far as washing them I generally try to soak that load of wash over night with some sort of oxyclean in the water. I have some that are a
    beige/tan color and I would not set the table on a night with them if we were having bbq ribs or spaghetti, just for the staining. Other than that I like using cloth napkins they make even a simple buger or hot dog seem a little special.

Donna

• donna1442
    16 years ago

OOPS...............I mean burger.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Toss them in the washer with an enzyme detergent like Biz, a bit of powdered oxyclean, warm or even hot water....and let 'er rip!!
    Not a problem...enjoy...so much nicer than cheap-o paper.
    Linda C

• bnicebkind
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Donna, do you use cloth napkins if you are having ribs, or spaghetti? And what works best to get out "those" stains?

Is there anything you do when they are brand new, like a pre-wash of vinegar or salt that protects the napkins from the stains?

• sudiepav
    16 years ago

I use cloth napkins for dinner, no matter what we're having. I have lots of dark green ones, and I pretreat the greasy stains with Amway's PreWash. I'm no fan of Amway, but it's the best pretreater I've found. It works great on most stains, including tomato and chocolate, and it's the best on grease. It's expensive...about $7 a can last time I bought it, but what I've saved in clothing and linens makes it worth it. It's also great on those stains I get on myself cooking.

• lovemydishes
    16 years ago

Spray & Wash Stain Stick. It will take any stain out, no matter what it is. With tablecloths & napkins, while they are still on the table, rub the stain stick on the stain. Even if you don't wash for a day or two no problem. THE STAIN WILL COME OUT!!! REMEMBER ITS THE STICK, NOT A SPRAY!

• bnicebkind
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Many thanks!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

The first thing I do after people leave is to go over the napkins and tablecloths with Zout. I like it best. Then I wash them as soon as I can. Sometimes that night or early the next day.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

DD likes Wine Out. Also mentioned Spot Shot. I used the Wine Out on a 2 day old red wine stain on the tablecloth, and it took 2 applications and washes, but it worked. If all else fails, I soak it overnight in the washing machine, lowest water level, hot water with 1 cup of detergent and one cup of Cascade or any electric dishwasher detergent. Let it soak overnight and then run the load in the morning. Works great, even on colors.

• linentablecloth123_gmail_com
    15 years ago

You can try this out.. There is a product named, AWESOME available from the Dollar Tree that of course only costs $1. It has actually removed permanent marker from clothes. It would be worth a try and if it didn't work you'd only be out of $1.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linen Table CLoth - table covers,table linen,napkin,cloth napkins,linen napkins,table skirt,chair covers,holiday tablecloths,holiday table linens,table clothes,linens,round tablecloths,napkins,printed table cloths

• lindac
    15 years ago

Holy Cow! the prices on that link!! $17.50 for a plain white cotton napkin? not me! Not when I can buy linen damask for less!

• marge727
    15 years ago

I have lots and lots of napkins and tablecloths. I even use them outside at our teak patio table, because they don't blow away like paper does.
    Don't have a problem cleaning them. Use stain remover and soak ASAP, just wash next morning.
    My problem is identifying which tablecloth goes to the dining room table when its closed, and when its open. Which goes to the game room round table. Which goes to the teak outside table which opens up bigger. I have tried an index by color inside the cabinet door , and have tried safety pinning a little note on with the dimensions, but nothing is reliable. If I was starting now, I would have one color for each table (like I do with sheets for different size beds)
    but its too late now.Any ideas?

• bonelady
    15 years ago

I do a lot of outdoor entertaining and do a lot of BBQ, Ribs, Pulled Pork and other messy dishes. I buy every cheap dishtowl I find on sale. Usually the Terry Cloth ones. They are the best for messy dinner napkins. It looks like you are setting your table for a BBQ and you are! If they don't get clean, you can toss them or use them for other "non-public" chores.

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Marge, if you come up with a plan for that...please share. I like for all of my table cloths to match, even though all of my tables do NOT match! AT THIS MOMENT the only thing that is working for me is to use a color of thread on the inside corner of the hem. I do a hand tailor tack that is color coded to various tables and amounts of leaves. I keep a list in my sewing room so that I don't forget ;^)

• jaybird
    14 years ago

I color code my table cloths with a bit of Sharpie marker on the back edge of the hem. Each length of each table has it's own color. It has worked wonderfully for me, and since I dot it on the backside of the hem, it doesn't show through at all. If it is a white table cloth and I am worried about the Sharpie, just a quick tack of the right color thread on the back of the hem does the trick!
    I keep a legend on the inside of the storage cabinet...my old brain could forget and leave me wondering which color is how long?????? :^)

• 7crox7_gmail_com
    14 years ago

Cloth or linen napkins have a real touch of solidity but, as for me, a nice set of decorative 3-ply paper napkins is much better, as it saves pains cleaning and ironing them.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://napkins.t35.com

• lindac
    14 years ago

I try to make sure my cloth fits the table the old fashioned way....I unfold it, put it on the table and if ti doesn't fit, I say some choice words refold and try again....
    Might be easier to color code....but to do that I would have to plan ahead!
    Linda c

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz