Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Appetizer suggestions?

Posted by BeachBum (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 02 at 10:20

Friends just (as in Wed night) invited themselves over for drinks and appetizers on Friday. I don't mind, but it will be our first get together in our new home and I had wanted time to plan something special...
Anyhoo I imagine there will be 10-15 people that will show up between 7-8. I don't want to get too involved with casseroles and and I don't own chafing dishes. I would love suggestions for filling and easy finger food apps.

here is what I'm planning so far:
artichoke dip w crackers
fresh salsa w chips
hummus or lentil dip w crackers
crab cakes with dipping sauce

thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Appetizer suggestions?

For hot appetisers you might go with curry puffs or sausage rolls, if you want hot ones that is and have the time to make them. Mini-quiche also go over well as do bite size pizzas. Otherwise I'd have some fresh vege sticks for dipping in the hoummous instead of crackers, for a little variety from the crackers with the artichoke dip and the chips with the salsa.

o

Buy a couple of nice cheeses and some interesting crackers and put them out....and add some fresh veggies to go with your dips. And how about "ham kebobs"...chunks of ham strung on bamboo skewers with chunks of pineapple. Mix dijon mustard equal parts with honey, brush the kebobs and heat for about 10 minutes in a 350 oven. They're great hot....and good even after they get cold....
Linda C

o

BeachBum, congrats on the new home!

I see you have 3 dip type nibblies, all of which sound yummie, so anything else you choose should probably be non dippy!!! The crab cakes are a great choice.

I'm assuming you both work so we need to help you with low prep ideas. A cheese and crackers plate, as Linda mentioned, is always a hit. Add a pate or two to make it special!

Another idea might be an antipasto plate, roasted red peppers, a selection of olives, artichokes, marinated tuna, You can buy most of the offerings, ready made, at any good deli or grocery store.

o

Do you have a crock pot? How about pre-cooked meatballs in a sauce of equal parts chile sauce and grape jelly. It's goooood.

o

How about a nice pumpkin dip with some ginger snaps? I don't have the recipe handy, but I know it's on allrecipes.com. Adds a nice sweet touch and very autumn-like! Have fun!

o

Krasna just posted a thread of many recipes for dips and snacks on the Recipe Exchange. And, have a look at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite hors d'oeuvres

o

Actually it was CampbellUT who started the thread.....
Lots of good stuff there.....
I keep copying Sharon's boursin....must have 5 copies on this computer!
Linda C

o

Read for content Linda. :) The thread with the good stuff is the one I linked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here