Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Ideas for Gift for Sick Person

Posted by dexx215 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 04 at 7:42

Don't know where else to post this, but our friend (70 year old man) is in hospital for knee replacement and I need an idea for a gift for him, but not flowers, or candy as he's diabetic. He has lots of pocketbooks to read, and I am at a loss as to what to get for him. Any ideas? Need answers asap, as he was called in unexpectedly yesterday and we are leaving town tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Ideas for Gift for Sick Person

Well, since he will be using crutches for a while....and likely wearing shorts, how about some jazzy sox?....Maybe with pumpkins.....or whatever you can find. Another thought is one of those things that hang on a walker or crutch that allow you to carry stuff.
With knee replacement, they want you moving and walking a mile a day in about 10 days....out of bed in less than 24 hours.
Maybe an interesting cane? I have a friend who just had her 4th knee replacement ( no she's not a quadruped....but the first was a very long time ago) and she loved a gifts of a jazzy cane...lucite with sparkles etc. For a man there are neat carved ones....etc.
Linda C

o

How about some books or music on tape or CD? He can listen while he's in bed and while he's walking and exercising.

o

WebTV and a membership to GardenWeb?

o

And, depending on his situation, a casserole might be good.

o

A friend of mine was a recent amputee & she's in a rehab place & I had to give her a Hanukah gift. She has MANY healthproblems including being diabetic & I got her sugar free Whitman's chocolates (she says they are good) & a blue & ivory poinsettia.

Michie

o

How about a bag of toiletries like shampoo, lotion, nail clippers, deodorant, powder, etc? A nice soft robe or pajamas, pre-paid phone card, or non-slip slippers would be good also, or a book of crossword puzzles. When you get back, it would be nice to make meals for freeze for him to heat & eat.

I've worked in hospitals, and often what I thought would bother me most if I was hospitalized, besides boredom, is that it's so hard to maintain hygiene -- washing hair, clipping and maintaining nails, shaving, etc., that and the awful food! An offer to help with whatever he needs would be most helpful I'm sure. Hope he has family to help him and look out for him while he's hospitalized and during recovery...

o

I have a great website you can visit. Hugswithlove.com This is a new website and it has wonderful blankets to send. I have a friend who has been in and out of the hospital and I sent a blanket, and then the tote. She loved the gift at home and for hospital visits. When she was out of bed she used the blanket to keep warm, she said it was just enough. Her husband said it washed up beautifully. The tote held the blanket and a few magazines. She is doing well now and still talks about the blanket. I have even given a few to my friends who are becoming first time grandparents. I love the site. Maybe because I am chilly often but I bought a blanket to keep on the couch at my house as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hugs with love

o

Dear me, this is an ancient post! Nevertheless, I think a nice gift would've been some kind of place setting or perhaps a dinner tray or even a lovely glass or cup. I know this sounds daft at first, but such a gift can go a long ways to making someone feel at home, even looking forward to going home or getting better to enjoy their dinnerware! Try it and see!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here