Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this menu sound OK?

Posted by mizmom (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 23:53

We are having my husbands work group for dinner. There will be 15-18 people (couples all adults).

appetizer = boiled shrimp and cocktail sauce

-Beef brisket ( warmed but presliced, precooked from Sam's with barbeque sauce on the side)
-Cresent rolls
-potatoe casserole (the one made with frozen hashbrowns, cream of chicken soup and cheddar cheese)
-baked beans
-tossed salad

dessert = fruit torte (also from Sam's...I haven't tried it yet so I hope it is good but it looks great)

Nothing is really truly homemade except the tossed salad so I am feeling a little guilty....maybe I will make a homemade barbeque sauce.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this menu sound OK?

Sounds great--the only thing I would add would be sourcream with horseradish in it for the brisket in case some people don't want BBQ sauce. You only need about a cup of it. I guessed you were in the Midwest. In California we might have the same thing except with a fruit plate or salad instead of the potatoes. Wonderful meal. Have fun

o

You might want to get your husband to ask around to make sure no-one has a shellfish allergy.

o

Will this pe served as a buffet? So everyone and pick and choose? If so, I would add a block of cheese ( Sam's has some very nice Jarlesberg) and crackers or some of Sam's mini quiches to the mix.
And frankly it all seems terribly "saucy"..like a lot of gloop on the plate at once. BBQ beef, saucy potatoes and baked beans all sounds like it might run into a puddle on the plate.
Linda C
I would substitute some sort of veggie for the beans.
and if you are planning on people making sandwiches I would choose some roll other than the crescent rolls from Sams....although they are good.

o

My husband is a meat and potato guy and we are in the midwest. I am trying to make the menu to his liking. The horseradish sauce is a great idea and I always have those ingredients around. Linda it does sound saucy. Maybe roasted potatoes would be a better idea. And I think I will add cheese and crackers with the shrimp course!

Thanks all for the help. Great suggestions.

o

I agree with doing roasted potatoes instead of the casserole. Or you could do a baked potato bar with sour cream, chives, bacon bits, cheddar cheese, etc... I also like the idea of adding cheese/crackers/maybe some grapes for the appetizer. That way people who don't like shrimp have something else to eat. And the horseradish sounds like a good alternative. Hope it works out well for you!

o

Doesn't the baked potato bar sound good? It also sounds easier than roasted potatoes. With cheese/crackers, & grapes you could almost skip the shrimp if you run out of time. Altho Costco/Sams has those shrimp platters already fixed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here