Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla35_gw

How Much Wine?

carla35
16 years ago

I'm helping host a party for about 60 people. It's an after dinner party with appetizer type foods. There will be beer and one specialty drink -- maybe a margarita. There will also be wine which I'm in charge of. How many bottles do you think we will need and what specific kinds (Shiraz, Chardonnay ???, etc) would you get? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• lindac
    16 years ago

How long after dinner? How long will it last?
    I know this is a personal question, but how sophisticated is the crowd? I am trying to figure out how many will be drinking wine compared to how many will be drinking beer.
    And do you have something to do with unopened bottles?
    I would figure 1/2 a bottle per person and I would make it simple and buy 2 kinds, red and white...and I would buy Australian for both. Depends on what you have available but black swan is a decent wine...and I would get a merlot/shiraz as wwell as a Chardonnay.
    You will have wine left over....but...as someone near and dear to me always said..."Better too much than too not".
    Linda C

• carla35
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not really sure of all of the specifics yet because someone else is the main host. The crowd is a 30-something mainly white collar professional type group but I wouldn't call them overly sophisticated.

I would think most of the men (about 30 people) would go for the beer (there will be a very extensive selection of beer), and I would even think some of the women may drink the beer. I am thinking most of the other woman may go for the specialty drink... I think it will be a margarita or something similar..but I'm not in charge of that, and if it runs out, I would bet wine would be the fall back drink for them. Of course they'll be a few that won't drink at all (pregnant, etc). So generally, I would guess I would have a medium to small group of women (8-10) and maybe a couple men drinking the wine.

The main host told me just to get a couple bottles, but I'm thinking I should bring way more. And, I just sort of guessed Shiraz and Chardonnay...are those the right two to use; are there better choices; is there a third kind I could add?

Thanks again.

• carla35
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forgot this...

I would 'guess' the party would start around 7:30 and go until 11:30 or 12 or so. Appetizers will be very heavy.

I should be able to get rid of the unused bottles over the Holiday season, so I'm not too worried about that.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I think you are dreaming about how many people WON'T drink wine. Unless it's a different crowd than I am imagining, I would guess about half will drink wine.
    I would have 10 bottles of white adn 8 bottles of red....and yes Shiraz/Merlot is a good suggestion as is Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc.

• carla35
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Specialty drinks are a big fad thing around here now. I think Oprah had something to do with it -LOL. And, surprisingly a lot of the women here drink beer. Just last night I was at a woman's only party with this group and only beer was served...at least I don't think wine was served since I didn't see any. I'm not sure if it's an age thing, or a regional thing, but wine has never been that big here...only for smaller dinner or intimate type gatherings. We are in St. Louis and home to Bud/Anheuser Busch so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'll get plenty of wine though just in case. Thanks for your suggestions.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm