Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwtamara

Favorite Halloween Candy?

gwtamara
14 years ago

Yes, hard to believe, but we're thinking about Halloween already here. We're putting together a slideshow about your favorite (and least favorite!) memories of Halloween candy.

So, when you were a kid, what was your...

...favorite Halloween candy? What did you always go for first when you went trick-or-treating? Did you trade for it with your friends?

...most hated Halloween candy? What did you trade away or steal from your brother's bag? Was there always a particular 'treat' that even your Dad wouldn't eat?

Happy Haunting!

Tamara

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (9)

• jaybird
    14 years ago

My favorite candy is and has always been the candy corn with the chocolate tips. I have discovered chocolate "peep" type candies this year and they are great too!!(I think they are scarecrow shapes)
    I never went T or T'ing, because we were/are not big celebrators (is that a word ?) of Halloween, so I can't address the question about most hated. Just as a general rule, I don't like anything licorice or anice flavored.
    Thanks for asking!

• millymoo
    14 years ago

I loved and still do, Rockets and Mojos(which I don't know if they make anymore).

Most-hated would be those orange/black wrapped toffee kisses-I think that's what we called them-couldn't even trade them but I recall eating them anyway-last resort-close to Christmas! LOL!

• gellchom
    14 years ago

My daughter, now 20, told me last year that she just realized she likes Almond Joy -- she always thought she hated them, because they went straight to me from the trick or treat bag. She didn't realize that we were just following the tradition of each parent having "first grabs" rights for one personal favorite.

Definitely the least popular "treat" in my childhood neighborhood was the "Greatest Story Ever Told" pamphlet one family gave out instead of candy. One year they taped on some root beer flavored hard candies, but even they weren't very good. I loved Chunky and of course Almond Joy best.

We used to live on a street so popular for trick or treating that we went through at least 15 big bags of candy each night. When we moved just three blocks to a different street, we get so few kids -- maybe 3-6, tops -- that I can be the nice lady who gives out big Hershey bars.

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

My favorites were wax lips, candy cigerettes, and pixie sticks. Our favorite place was a retired doctors house, they opened up their dining room and we were led in by their housekeeper to go around the treat laden table taking what we wanted. Now, we do the same thing for just the neighborhood kids that we know, which is a good many. I make homemade treats, have pixie sticks and of course all the good chocolate stuff and we have a big pot of chili for the parents. We love Halloween!

• demifloyd
    14 years ago

Reese's Cups.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I bought a bag of caramel candy corn recently, I ate a few handfuls and had to throw the rest out, it was good but I was afraid I'd eat the rest of it in an hour.

• weed30 St. Louis
    14 years ago

My favorites were Milky Ways, 3 Musketeers, and Candy Corn. I didn't like Mounds or Almond Joy, although I ate them when I was desperate ;)

My funny memory of Halloween: My dad owned a vending company when I was growing up, so he would bring home a case of full sized candy bars to give out. The problem? He'd bring home the 'slow movers', like Zero bars. What kid would eat this gross looking thing?!

Although it didn't really matter what we had to give out...we lived in a 5000sf house built in 1912 that was surrounded by 1300sf tract homes. Most kids thought our house had to be haunted, so they wouldn't come on our property ~

• gininmn
    14 years ago

Snickers bars--any size but the larger the better. Yum.
    I usually buy several kinds of candy including Snickers and then give out the others first and the Snickers only if I have to.

• lucyada
    14 years ago

My favorite Halloween candies are gummy candies. I absolutely love Halloween Gummy Candy Corn. I think this is definitely my favorite. Honestly I must admit that I am not into chocolate. I would always prefer gummy candies.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County