Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiema_gw

need hors d'oeuvre suggestions for a martini party

Tiema
21 years ago

Hello,

I volunteered to bring hors d'eouvres to a formal martini party. I was told, that something spicy or with very strong flavors would do best. I would like to use either a seafood or a vegetarian recipe.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Comments (12)

• lindac
    21 years ago

Oh my!! I have some dim memories of Martini parties.....very dim LOL!
    I think because of the alcoholic content of the drinks, I would look at foods with substance, stick to the ribs stuff.
    An easy way is just to set out an assortment of cheeses with crackers and maybe some bruchetta toasts.
    Linda C

• Cindy_Mac
    21 years ago

Someone made these for a party this past summer. They were incredible. The recipe is on epicurious.com. It gets rave reviews.

CHEDDAR PECAN CRISPS

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
    8 oz Cheddar, coarsely grated (2 cups)
    1 large egg yolk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup pecans, finely chopped

PREHEAT oven to 350°.

BEAT together butter and Cheddar in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth, then beat in remaining ingredients.

ROLL rounded teaspoons of dough into balls and arrange 3 inches apart on buttered baking sheets. Flatten each ball into a 1 1/2-inch disk and bake in batches in middle of oven until golden, 15 to 18 minutes.

Makes about 50 crackers -- Gourmet -- January 2002

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheddar Pecan Crisps ( see reviews)

• Sunny66
    21 years ago

CHERRY TOMATOES WITH ROASTED GARLIC FILLING

I had these at a party once and they are excellent! I haven't attempted to make them myself however, it looks a little time-consuming.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry tomatoes w/roasted garlic filling

• chase_gw
    21 years ago

Tiema,
    I see you have volunteered to "bring" the hors d'oeuvres, so I am assuming this is not in your home. Will you have access to an oven or stove top and are OK with preparing them there or do you want them to be cold/room temp?

• mqmoi
    21 years ago

Here's a bold seafood for you. I think these would be geat with martinis. They are easy to prepare yet very elegant.

ROQUEFORT-STUFFED SHRIMP

24 jumbo shrimp
    3 ounces cream cheese
    1 ounce Roquefort or Danish blue cheese
    1/2 teaspoon Dijon-type mustard
    1 teaspoon finely chopped scallion
    1 cup finely chopped parsley

Cook shrimp in salted water, then drain, shell and devein. Split the shrimp down the spine about halfway through. Chill.

Blend the cream cheese, Roquefort, mustard and scallion. Using a knife or small spatula, stuff the cheese mixture into the split backs of the shrimp. Roll the cheese side of the shrimp in chopped parsley and serve chilled.

• cookingrvc
    21 years ago

Here's a nice spicy shrimp recipe that can be made ahead.
    It's great with cocktails.

Spicy Grilled Shrimp (Adapted from How to Cook Everything)

1 Large garlic clove
    1 t. salt
    ½ t. Cayenne pepper
    1 t. Paprika
    2 T. Olive oil
    2 t. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
    1.5 Â 2 pounds of shrimp (20-30 count per pound), peeled, rinsed, and dried.

Preheat grill or broiler to very hot.

Mince the garlic with the salt; mix it with the cayenne and paprika, then make a paste with the olive oil and lemon juice.
    Smear the paste all over the shrimp.
    Grill or broil 2-3 minutes per side, turning once.

Serve immediately or at room temperature with lemon wedges.

• mqmoi
    21 years ago

Here are two, make-ahead brie recipes:

PESTO-FILLED BRIE
    This is best as a make-ahead dish.

1 Baby Brie (1.1 pounds)
    1 small clove garlic
    1 bunch fresh basil (1 ½ t. dried)
    4 T. unsalted, softened butter
    Squeeze fresh lemon juice
    Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
    1 T. pine nuts or walnuts
    Chopped parsley

Split brie horizontally into two layers and set aside.

In a blender, chop garlic finely. Add enough basil leavesÂwashed and driedÂto make about ½ cup. Add half of the butter, lemon juice and pepper. Process until smooth. Remove and stir in nuts.

Spread filling evenly onto one layer of cheese, then top with second layer, cut side down.

Spread remaining butter around edge of cheese and sprinkle with parsley.

To serve, cut into wedges. Make 24 hours before serving so all flavors meld. Serves 8-12.

BAKED BRIE WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
    8 cups sliced onions (about 4 large)
    1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 8-inch-diameter 32- to 36-ounce
    French Brie, packed in wooden box (reserve box)
    2 French bread baguettes, sliced

Melt butter in heavy very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until just tender, about 6 minutes. Add minced thyme, reduce heat to medium and cook until onions are golden, stirring often, about 25 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup wine; stir until almost all liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over onions and sauté until soft and brown, about 10 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup wine; stir just until liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool. (Can be prepare 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Unwrap Brie, reserving bottom of wooden box. Cut away only top rind of cheese, leaving rind on sides and bottom intact. Return Brie to box, rind side down. Place box on baking sheet. Top Brie evenly with onion mixture. Bake until cheese just melts, about 30 minutes. Transfer Brie in box in platter. Surround with baguette slices.
    Serves 8 to 10.

Bon Appétit

• shmaco
    21 years ago

A really simple but elegant, make-ahead hors d'oeuvres I have made:

Pipe some cream cheese into large pimento stuffed green olives then wrap some very finely sliced salami or pepperoni (depending on the size of the olives, the salami should not be too large, you should still be able to see the olive on one side) around and secure with a toothpick.

• Tiema
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hi and thank you all for sharing your recipes. These recipes look so good, I'm planning on trying most of them in the near future. I think the baked brie with caramelized onion sounds like it would go well with the martinis. I also found that there's a whole section on cocktail parties in the October 2001 issue of Bon Appetit. One of the recipes is one I'm still considering for the martini party as well. If anyone is interested take a look at these reipes on epicurious.com:

Mango-Curry Shrimp Salad in Wonton Cups

New Potatoes with three-cheese fondue

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=106295

• kdscarlet
    15 years ago

Ideas for food for a Chocolate Martini Party.

thanks

• User
    15 years ago

I read this post before hosting a party to christen my renovated kitchen. I chose the Cheddar Pecan Crisps and Cherry tomatoes with roasted garlic filling.

Both were delicious. Next time I will decrease the amount of cayenne in the crisps as they were a bit too spicy.

And, by popular demand, next time I will triple the recipe for the rosted garlic filling for crackers. That is some delicious spread!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio