Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swampwitch_gw

warning about kitty litter cakes

swampwitch
17 years ago

I'm concerned about the many recipes on the web for "kitty litter cakes" or "litter box cakes" that are served in (clean, new) litter boxes with litter scoopers. These items are NOT food-grade plastic. We use so much plastic in cooking and serving that we tend to think all plastics are created equal, when unfortunately, they are not. Non-food-grade plastics leach some really nasty chemicals into food. Serious long-term health problems can be a result of ingesting these chemicals. No one knows how much exposure can cause problems, but they are absorbed into the food immediately upon contact.

Some recipes say to line the litter box first. It is O.K. to use non-food-grade plastic if it is lined with food-grade plastic (litter box liners and garbage bags are not food-grade since they were never intended for food storage). And I would use the scooper for decoration only.

For more information (or if you don't believe me), search for "storing foods in plastic." The Canadian Cancer Society has a page devoted to this, too.

Cheers, from

SwampWitch

Comments (6)

• atd_oc
    17 years ago

I have never heard of a kitty litter cake, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I have been avoiding reheating food stored in plastic in the microwave because of the warnings. Better safe than sorry.

• bonelady
    17 years ago

It's been a long time since I made this cake. I always lined the pan with Saran Wrap. Here is the receipe for those that don't know it.

KITTY LITTER CAKE
    1 Spice or German Chocolate Cake Mix
    1 White Cake Mix
    1 Pkg White Sandwich Cookies
    1 large pkg Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix Green food coloring 12 small Tootsie Rolls
    1 *new* kitty litter box
    1 *new* kitty litter box plastic liner
    1 *new* pooper scooper
    Prepare cake mixes and bake according to directions (any size pans). Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble.
    Crumble white sandwich cookies in small batches in blender, they tend to stick, so scrape often. Set aside all but about ¼ cup.
    To the ¼ cup cookie crumbs, add a few drops green food coloring and mix using a fork or shake in a jar.
    When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into a large bowl. Toss with half the remaining white cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. You probably wonÂt need all of the pudding, mix with the cake and "feel" it, you donÂt want it soggy, just moist; gently combine.
    Line new, clean kitty litter box. Put mixture into litter box.
    Put three unwrapped Tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Repeat with 3 more Tootsie rolls and bury in mixture.
    Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top. Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly over the top, this is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in kitty litter.
    Heat remaining Tootsie Rolls, 3 at a time in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with cookie crumbs. This is my additionÂonly: spread 5 of the remaining Tootsie Rolls over the top; take one and heat until pliable, hang it over the side of the kitty litter box; sprinkling it lightly with cookie crumbs.
    Place the box on a newspaper and sprinkle a few of the cookie crumbs around. I donÂt know about you, but my cat ALWAYS makes a MESS!!! : )
    Serve with a *new* pooper scooper

• swampwitch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

But don't use the litter box LINER. Use a food-safe bag or foil to line the box and serve with a spoon (NOT the scooper)!

Household plastics are not the same as food-grade plastics. They contain heavy metals (LEAD, MERCURY), CARCINOGENS, and known HORMONE DISRUPTERS (all particularly bad for kids).

This includes contact paper, litter boxes and scoops, film containers, trash cans, trash bags, litter box liners, paint buckets, vinyl tableclothes, etc. These are NON-FOOD grade which means manufacturers can use poisons in these plastic products, since they are not intended to come into direct contact with foods.

Ask yourself if the plastic was meant to come in to contact with food... NOT using NON-FOOD GRADE plastics for food is a no-brainer!

Cheers, from
    SwampWitch

• swampwitch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, I just noticed bonelady said she used saran wrap to line the litter box and that's good, too.

Maybe when we reproduce the recipe we could explain about lining the box safely!

Cheers, from
    SwampWitch

• okieladybug
    17 years ago

This just sounds like a gross thing to make!!! Eeew!

(And SwampWitch, I agree completely about the plastic issue.)

• swampwitch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I agree, okieladybug. I remember thinking "gross" when I first saw a picture on a cake site, then "GROSS!" when I realized the poisons that the fat was leaching from the plastic. It's pretty horrifying all around.

Cheers, from
    SwampWitch

p.s. Evidently a lot of people won't eat it which is good for them in many ways. It is made for Halloween or fear factor parties.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm