Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BBQ Reception help!

Posted by franl (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 10:20

My daughter is having her wedding on the 15th of Sept. (next Saturday! yeah!) The ceremony will be in a lovely park within the local fairgrounds with reception following and is very casual. Her and the groom wanted a BBQ so BBQ it will be! Very very casual!
I'm trying to figure out how many hotdogs and burgers for everyone.. there will be 41 adults and 27 children (out of the 27 children about 3 or 4 are just toddlers.) There will also be lots of other food such as salads,chips,baked beans and of course desserts including cake.
Do I buy burger for all 68? Hotdogs for all 68?
I guess whatever isn't used can always be put in a freezer.
any suggestions?
FranL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BBQ Reception help!

You said you can freeze the leftover, which says to me that you (a) have the freezer space and (b) eat hot dogs and hamburger anyway. In that case, even though you have lots of other foods, I would buy plenty of both for everyone, so you definitely won't run out. It's a no-lose situation, just a little more cash on the front end, as you will eat the leftover later anyway. Have coolers and ice for the raw hamburger and mayo salads especially.

Consider bringing some bee traps if that is a problem in your area this time of year.

Congratulations! I hope you have great weather and a lovely day.

o

Thank you so much!
Actually... there is little freezer space. Her refridgerator is small with just a small freezer space but hopefully she can find someone with extra storage area.
Its been a difficult wedding to plan with me living up in BC Canada and her in Oregon and... we were given a months notice....... UGH!
I'm sure things will go off without too much of a hitch...and the day will be special.
thanks!
Fran

o

Also consider donating leftovers -- certainly salads, etc., that won't freeze -- to a local shelter. That's what we always do.

o

You could do real barbeque; smoke some pork butts for about 6 hours at 250 then shred, chop and freeze. Mix with barbeque sauce when ready to reheat in the oven. This is really good and pork butt is really cheap!

o

I've found for BBQ's you really need to look at age and gender and work it out that way.

Teenage boys need 2 burgers and 2 dogs, minimum
Teenage girls are tricky, some will eat 1 burger or 1-2 dogs or 1 of each, some will eat none.... you should have a veggie choice these days.
Women will normally eat one of either..usually a burger
Men will want two burgers or 1 burger and a dog.

Add it all up and then buy more of each..not a lot more.

These are just guidelines based on the people I feed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here