Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happytobehome_gw

Estimating food quantities for cookout

happytobehome
15 years ago

I am having a backyard cookout for approx. 50 people on Friday. I'm serving hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, deviled eggs and a large platter of fruit. My question is how many hamburgers and hot dogs will I need, and also how many pounds of potato salad?

I have never had a party this large before, so I would really appreciate any advice regarding food quantity. I don't want to run out, but I also don't want to have a ton of leftovers.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• gellchom
    15 years ago

You won't be cooking all the meat at once anyway, right? So you can freeze what you don't cook.

Figure on some leftovers of the other foods, though -- you don't want to run out. I love to eat leftovers, but if you don't, see if there is a local shelter that will take them.

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

Cooking for 50 people is a lot of grillingand unless you have one heck of a grill, will take more space than you can cook on at once. If I were you I'd grill them before hand and keep them warm in the oven. Take them out and put on a platter to serve. Saves you from cooking them for an hour while guest are there.

• lindac
    15 years ago

But....people won't all eat at the same time. And it's part of the fun to have people standing around the grill waiting for their meat to be done.
    I have a standard Weber kettle and it can do a dozen burgers easily...they take about 10 minutes....so that's everyone fed in an hour.
    If you have a larger grill, its' a piece of cake.
    you don't want to plan for a huge platter of burgers and dogs all done and re warmed at once...
    I doubt that she will be plating in the kitchen ands erving every one...it will be buffet and paople will be chatting and drinking wine or pop and talking...
    Sounds like a good party to me!
    Linda C

• happytobehome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DH (aka the griller) asked me to cut out a paper sample burger and measure the grill -- it will hold 15 burgers. Our neighbors across the street have offered to wheel their grill over if needed, so I think we'll be fine.

Linda C. -- if you're anywhere near Northern Virginia, come on over and join the fun!

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice.

• marge727
    15 years ago

The party is over by now and I would be interested to know how many people showed up and how much they actually did eat and drink. I have kept records over the years so I know for next time.

• happytobehome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marge727 - Yes, the party is over and it went very well. We had plenty of food, and some left over (now in the freezer for Labor Day weekend picnic). I didn't get an exact head count, but it was between 45 and 50 adults and teens.

purchased 48 frozen burgers - 40 were cooked and eaten
    purchased 48 hot dogs - 18 cooked and eaten
    purchased 12 lbs. potato salad - 8 lbs eaten
    purchased large fruit tray to serve 35 to 40 - all gobbled up
    quadrupled homemade baked bean recipe to serve 32 - approx. 1/2 eaten

Thanks for asking!

• marge727
    15 years ago

thanks, because I am having a party about that size and its nice to know that the hot dogs were also eaten. Nice menu. I just had a party this past weekend and baked cupcakes. I frosted them 3 different ways and they all got eaten quickly.

• centerpt_hughes_net
    12 years ago

Im having 75 people i need to know many hamburger and buns and hotdogs and buns

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource