Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethgaryb

Farewell gift?

buffylou
17 years ago

We are going to a farewell party for my boss's "friend" (relationship status unknown) who is moving across the country. We don't know him well but have socialized with them from time to time, usually involving golf. Other than the obvious (golf gift), what kind of gift would be appropriate for a farewell party? Or is one even needed? A bottle of wine, maybe? I appreciate your advice!

Comments (8)

• maggie5il
    17 years ago

A book? Golf related on unrelated. Men our harder than women, aren't they? I don't even know what to give my own husband! If you don't know him well, I'd say sticking with a gift pertaining to a known interest would be best, golf or other.

• craftfetish
    17 years ago

What about something to remember his current home? As a displaced Michigander, I am always excited if I can get Vernor's ginger ale or Sander's Hot Fudge or Zingerman's bread or some of the other Michigan foods that are tough to get other places.

Or you could do the opposite and get him a travel book for his new community? Or some tasty treat that the new town is known for. This could be silly - like sending someone off to NYC with an apple.

When in doubt, I go with food.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

• buffylou
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great ideas, thanks! Maybe I can find a golf book related to the Phoenix area - I better make sure that's the town. And the hot fudge, and/or maybe a Michigan wine - will be hard to find out there. :^)

• azzalea
    17 years ago

I'd hesitate to give something like a bottle of wine--to much of a pain to have to worry about transporting, when they have so many things to take with them.

If you know where they're going, how about doing a little web research and finding a nice restaurant in their new area, and getting them a gift certificate to it? That would be easy to pack, and would be a nice welcome to the new area (not to mention, a wonderful convenience in those first days when they're still trying to figure out where they packed the pots and pans--or can opener--LOL!)

• smileyrose
    17 years ago

>>>>>>>(not to mention, a wonderful convenience in those first days when they're still trying to figure out where they packed the pots and pans--or can opener--LOL!)Perhaps you could buy a spare can opener, just in case! ;):D

• buffylou
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Craftfetish - you're a genius. I found one of those Insight Travel Guides for his new state, and he LOVED it! That brand is a great book because it has lots of color photos, interesting history of the area, and doesn't waste a lot of space on listings of hotels, restaurants, etc. Thanks to all who posted - I think I gave the best gift! :^)

• craftfetish
    17 years ago

Yay! I'm glad it worked out. I'll have to remember that about the Insight Guides.

• swampwitch
    17 years ago

Okay, this is after-the-fact, but giving wine to people who are moving 'cross country isn't a good idea. Unless they have the time to drink it before they go, they don't get to enjoy the gift. Usually one needs all his/her time and energy in a move like that, and there's not much time for drinking.

This happened to us and we had to give away a very expensive bottle of champagne and a couple of bottles of beautiful wine... sob... our friends who received the bottles were pretty happy, though!

Cheers, from
    SwampWitch

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida